[SOLVED] High Pitched noise from PC - not coil whine.

frymillstrum

Commendable
Jan 11, 2021
So I build my first PC a few days ago and it makes a REALLY high pitched noise all the time, no matter what I'm doing, browsing files, checking Twitter or gaming. It's exactly like that effect you hear in films after there's been an explosion and the character is supposed to have gone deaf for a few seconds if that makes sense, a really high "eeeeeeeee". It doesn't sound anything like examples of coil whine I've heard on Youtube, it's far too faint if that's the right word. It's driving me crazy and get's stuck in my ear/head to the point I can hear it for a while after I leave the room or turn the PC off. I'm seriously disappointed that my first build has ended up this way. especially since the machine it pretty quiet apart from the squeal. I've replaced the PSU since that seemed like a likely culprit and the problem persists, I've reseated the RAM, checked all cables, stopped the CPU fan for a few seconds, turned off case fans, powered off the HDD and it's still there. GPU is from my previous machine (I know it's bottlenecking me, but obviusly it's near impossible to get a decent one atm and it never caused a noise before). I'm thinking of returning the MOBO for another one since that seems to be the only other option? Is that extreme? Can anyone think of anything else I could try?

I did find a thread on here from a couple of years ago titled " New Self Built PC is Severely Triggering my Tinnitus" but OP identified their GPU as the problem and the main solution was moving the PC to another room or soundproofing the case.

Anyway, here's my (semi-budgeted) build. Might already appear under here as part of my profile, idk...

MSI B450M- A PRO MAX (mATX)
Ryzen 7 3700x
Integral M Series 256GB NVMe M.2
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM (2x8 GB)
Be Quiet Sytem Power 9 PSU
GTX 1050 (I know, I know)
Corsair CC-901138WW Case, if it matters

Solution
It is coil whine. But seems there is no other way than try to locate approximate position and then poke chokes and transformers with eraser pencil or similar stick with semi-soft end to find out which inductor is the culprit.
So I build my first PC a few days ago and it makes a REALLY high pitched noise all the time, no matter what I'm doing, browsing files, checking Twitter or gaming. It's exactly like that effect you hear in films after there's been an explosion and the character is supposed to have gone deaf for a few seconds if that makes sense, a really high "eeeeeeeee". It doesn't sound anything like examples of coil whine I've heard on Youtube, it's far too faint if that's the right word. It's driving me crazy and get's stuck in my ear/head to the point I can hear it for a while after I leave the room or turn the PC off. I'm seriously disappointed that my first build has ended up this way. especially since the machine it pretty quiet apart from the squeal. I've replaced the PSU since that seemed like a likely culprit and the problem persists, I've reseated the RAM, checked all cables, stopped the CPU fan for a few seconds, turned off case fans, powered off the HDD and it's still there. GPU is from my previous machine (I know it's bottlenecking me, but obviusly it's near impossible to get a decent one atm and it never caused a noise before). I'm thinking of returning the MOBO for another one since that seems to be the only other option? Is that extreme? Can anyone think of anything else I could try?

I did find a thread on here from a couple of years ago titled " New Self Built PC is Severely Triggering my Tinnitus" but OP identified their GPU as the problem and the main solution was moving the PC to another room or soundproofing the case.

Anyway, here's my (semi-budgeted) build. Might already appear under here as part of my profile, idk...

MSI B450M- A PRO MAX (mATX)
Ryzen 7 3700x
Integral M Series 256GB NVMe M.2
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM (2x8 GB)
Be Quiet Sytem Power 9 PSU
GTX 1050 (I know, I know)
Corsair CC-901138WW Case, if it matters
Can you post a video of the noise please.

frymillstrum

Commendable
Jan 11, 2021
So I decided to replace the wraith prism cooler (and MOBO while I was at it) and the noise appears to be gone. I initially thought it wasn't the CPU fan as the noise had earwigged it's way into my head and was still present even when I turned the fan off. Noise actually stayed with me for the past 10 days but seems to be going away slowly now, may have been triggered by the noise of the prism fan 🤷‍♂️

Thanks ppl