Question High pitched ringing noise coming from motherboard area

May 10, 2020
Hello, I have recently bought a new computer and there appears to be a high pitched ringing noise coming from the motherboard area. It doesn’t appear to be causing any faults (yet) but it is quite irritating and am wondering what the cause is.

May 10, 2020
Although 'ringing' is a bit misleading it could be coil whine. Does it change in pitch or timbre as processor loading changes?

Coil whine was my original guess but I’ve heard coil whine and this sounds different. The ringing noise is constant from the moment I turn on the PC to when it’s switched off and does not change in tone.

Coil whine was my original guess but I’ve heard coil whine and this sounds different. The ringing noise is constant from the moment I turn on the PC to when it’s switched off and does not change in tone.
Is it a metallic ringing? try touching the CPU cooler fan hub to slow it down and see if it changes...it may be a fan blade tip is contacting a cooling fin.

Try the same with ALL the fans in fact! And then try touching various parts of the motherboard to see if it changes so as to localize the specific source.

May 10, 2020
Is it a metallic ringing? try touching the CPU cooler fan hub to slow it down and see if it changes...it may be a fan blade tip is contacting a cooling fin.

Try the same with ALL the fans in fact! And then try touching various parts of the motherboard to see if it changes so as to localize the specific source.

I know it’s not the cooler as I have a water cooler and the pump seems to be functioning just fine, I’ll take your advice and try to pinpoint the exact area on the motherboard that the sound is coming from. As I said it’s not causing any problems just yet but my worry is that it may be a sign of a looming fault in the pc.

May 10, 2020

View: https://youtu.be/50mKigZnYuk

Managed to upload a video of the sound, have a listen and see what you think.

View: https://youtu.be/50mKigZnYuk

Managed to upload a video of the sound, have a listen and see what you think.
It's not very loud but I think what I hear is a high pitched whining sound...like a high speed pump or high speed fan. I'm not sure the Corsair AIO pump runs that fast but maybe it is...can you vary it's speed with BIOS settings to test that? If you have an X570 board with a small chipset fan it may be turning really fast too.

May 10, 2020
It's not very loud but I think what I hear is a high pitched whining sound...like a high speed pump or high speed fan. I'm not sure the Corsair AIO pump runs that fast but maybe it is...can you vary it's speed with BIOS settings to test that? If you have an X570 board with a small chipset fan it may be turning really fast too.

I don’t believe it to be the pump as I can hear the pump working and the noise seems to be separate from that. I have also tried using the Corsair Icue software to adjust the pump speed and the noise still remains constant and doesn’t change its tone or volume. The board I have is an MSI X470 gaming plus max if that helps.