[SOLVED] High PSU 12v Tension, BSOD Everywhere, welcome to my Nightmare. What can be done?

Sep 7, 2019
Hello Guys,

There's my gear:

CPU - i7 4790k

GraphicCard - GTX 970

Memory - 10GB DDR3

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth Mark I

PowerSuply - EVGA 750 BQ

Storage 1 - SSD kingstom 480gb

Storage 2 - WD VelociRaptor 480GB

OS - Windows 10

The Problem---------------------------

Has been a while my computer started presenting weird behaviors. The first was a BSOD once in 1 or 2 weeks and then a "power surge" message that appeared once in a while in the first screen right after the PC was turned on, in the bios the 5v tension was higher, about 6.2v.

About 3 months ago my computer didn't started, the MOBO was no longer functioning. A friend of mine lent me his extra mobo and I used it with my gear with no problem(about 2 weeks), meanwhile I took my mobo to be restored.

When I got my mobo back and installed in my gear, the real nightmare started...

My PC Constantly shows BSOD, most of the time, the temperature of the CPU goes really high before the BSOD but sometimes don't. The CPU temperature idling goes to 70ºc and after a while normalizes(about 45ºc).

So I reached the engineers that restored my mobo and told them the problem, they said to take the whole PC to them (not just the mobo) and so I did it. When they finally diagnosed, they said the problem was the power supply.

Was a relative new power supply, had just turned 1 year and 1 month that same day. I couldn't wait to send my power supply to US(for the warranty), would take too much time, so I bought a new one, a CORSAIR HX850, and they installed and tested for days. They tested each componet in different setups, other PSU in my setup too, they did stress test.

When I got my gear back, after a few hour using the PC guess what... BSOD again. Until the end of the same day that I got my gear back, I couldn't even get in OS, the BSOD apeared right after I chose the user, when the windows start loading. So I formated, the WD VelociRaptor was no longer working, just the SSD, and this time the 12v tensions is never at 12v, when it's low reaches 13v, when is high reaches 15.5v, this happens with the new PSU.

After formating, the problem changed a little bit, the BSOD happened 1 or 2 times a day, and after 2 or 3 days the "master BSOD" happen, that BSOD where I can't even enter the OS and when it happens, the only solution is restore the windows to a previously state(not always work but most of the time it does) or formating.

Some people adviced me to run with just one stick of memory and test one by one, But I bought brand new memory, but the problem persists, I tried the one stick thing too.

I Work at home, it's a home office job. I can't stop and I don't have a backup gear. Right now the problem is more constant more bsod's and more formating.

I'm thinking in buy a new Mobo/processor/memory, a ryzen 5 3600x maybe. But I'm afraid that the problem will persist and right now it's not the best moment for me to spend this money.

So... What is you guys thoughts? Do I need an exorcist?

Thanks for the patience

Solution
Is your Windows 10 installation that is running now an upgrade of an older version of Windows that has not seen a clean install of Windows 10 done with no other version of windows "under" it, or did you directly install Windows 10 from scratch using the CLEAN INSTALL method?

WHAT, EXACTLY, are you using to monitor those voltage readings?
Is your Windows 10 installation that is running now an upgrade of an older version of Windows that has not seen a clean install of Windows 10 done with no other version of windows "under" it, or did you directly install Windows 10 from scratch using the CLEAN INSTALL method?

WHAT, EXACTLY, are you using to monitor those voltage readings?

Solution

pbrainii

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
I'm thinking that the problem is not PSU related at all and that both PSU's are working properly. When u used your friends mobo, there was no issue at all, so it can't be PSU or RAM related. Buy a new mobo, I bet all your issues will go away instantly.

Don't say "can't. That will come back to bite you in a very unpleasant location, more times than not.

Instead, say, "is unlikely" or "is not probable". Safer that way. LOL.

I would like to know WHAT these voltage readings are being taken from first, in order to know whether they should be believed or are simply being misreported. Weak utilities like HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Speccy, etc., OFTEN report incorrectly OR take their readings from the wrong sensor value. Using HWinfo is likely to get you more accurate results. Using a multimeter or volt meter is a better method, but is unlikely to be able to offer you a result that shows what is happening under a load, so for now I'd go off what is shown in the BIOS or in HWinfo.