[SOLVED] High Ram and 100% D drive usage

dirtydancin

Prominent
Nov 24, 2021
So recently all of my games have been slowed down to the point where I cannot even play roblox without it crashing or "disconnecting." All of the games I play such as Rocket League and Valorant all seem to freeze every time i try and play it. It also ends up crashing to the point where I have to restart to even use my computer again. For my PC specs, I have the VRLA Tech Apollo with a AMD Ryzen 5 3600, b450 MB, 16GB DDR4, 120GB M.2 NVME+ 1TB 7200RPM 3.5' SATA Hard Drive, RTX 2060, 500W +80 PSU, with a wifi adapter and 2 fans. I noticed when I opened games and tried playing them, my D Drive usage would be at 100% constantly. Another thing i found out was that when i use winrar to try and get zip files, it states that "the archive is in either unknown format or damaged."

I have also tried using crystal disk info and it says both drives are good and i have also tried to use 7zip for the winrar problem. Nothing has worked so far. I even went as far as trying to reseat my RAM from 2 and 4 to 1 and 3 and nothing worked. I have a youtube link showing what i experience when i play (
View: https://youtu.be/blmzO9XOqP4
).
My RAM brand is oloy which i personally have never heard of and im not sure what the HDD and SSD and wifi cards brands are. I was thinking about getting new and better RAM sticks, hdd, ssd, and wifi adapter because my wifi also spikes up to the max on task manager.

I think this problem couldve been from me using around 10G of ram on minecraft modpacks for at minimum 5 hours a day but who knows. Please help me fix my problem or even figure out what the source of my problem is.

Solution
Yeah i ran out of space on my ssd so i moved almost all of my games onto my d drive. at least i believe i’ve moved them all on my d drive. should i get a bigger ssd and move them back to there?

Oh yes, I did the same thing on my rig and let me tell you games running of an mechanical drive was horrible in comparison to running of an ssd or nvme drive, but I would also look at my power supply if I was you.

Maybe if you don't have money now to upgrade, just play the one or two games of your ssd for now, maybe start with a format and clean install of windows, backup your games on the 1TB and just format and reinstall the SSD.

dirtydancin

Prominent
Nov 24, 2021
So are you running your games of that 1TB 7200RPM 3.5' SATA Hard Drive?

Might be a cause of a problem.
Yeah i ran out of space on my ssd so i moved almost all of my games onto my d drive. at least i believe i’ve moved them all on my d drive. should i get a bigger ssd and move them back to there?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019

Oh yes, I did the same thing on my rig and let me tell you games running of an mechanical drive was horrible in comparison to running of an ssd or nvme drive, but I would also look at my power supply if I was you.

Maybe if you don't have money now to upgrade, just play the one or two games of your ssd for now, maybe start with a format and clean install of windows, backup your games on the 1TB and just format and reinstall the SSD.

Solution

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
What problems should i look for with my power supply?

Just make sure you have a proper PSU to power that rig. ( if you have games that crash for example) besides that they are slow loading or not running smooth because of running of an mechanical drive instead of the ssd, then I would suggest you look at if your power supply meets what your asking of it.

dirtydancin

Prominent
Nov 24, 2021
Just make sure you have a proper PSU to power that rig. ( if you have games that crash for example) besides that they are slow loading or not running smooth because of running of an mechanical drive instead of the ssd, then I would suggest you look at if your power supply meets what your asking of it.
how do i check if the psu is suitable for my computer? i could possibly upgrade on that and see what happens i don’t know though. also lots of my friends say that they have all their games on their d drive and their stuff works perfectly fine but it may be different for everyone i suppose. my wifi adapter seems pretty weak and cheap as well.

how do i check if the psu is suitable for my computer? i could possibly upgrade on that and see what happens i don’t know though. also lots of my friends say that they have all their games on their d drive and their stuff works perfectly fine but it may be different for everyone i suppose. my wifi adapter seems pretty weak and cheap as well.
What is the make and model of the psu you have?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
how do i get fresh windows? sorry, i’m new to all of this tech stuff.

Get yourself a 8Gb+ usb drive and go search on the internet for media creation tool windows, then with media usb made you restart your pc, boot from the usb drive and go through a clean custom setup, remember to backup everything you want to keep, because if you want to format and delete partitions to get a new clean setup, you will loose everything and have to start again, this is the best way to get going fresh and clean and become free from any accumulated problems software related.