High RAM Consumption

Rigs44

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Win10, 16gb ddr3

I've been having a problem with high RAM usage. It steadily climbs after startup and peaks at around 95%. Checking Resource Manager, there isn't a clear reason why this is happening. I understand Win10 is supposed to have superior RAM management, and therefore I shouldn't be worried as long as RAM doesn't cap out at 100%, but it seems to be hard faulting quite a bit, and I'd rather not play video games from a pagefile.
I'm in the middle of checking a potential memory leak fix. Are there any other suggestions anyone can think of?

wGK3Dn2.png

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Rigs44 : "High RAM Consumption"

Rigs44

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
I can't sort it, as I've since restarted my PC. I can tell you that when I was checking all tabs, there werent any processes demanding more than ~1GB. The total for working set was still less than 3-4GB. Next time it spikes I will post the working set.

Rigs44

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
At the moment I have LoL launcher open (not the actual game). 8 tabs in chrome (no videos or streaming or any large content on pages). Memory seems to steadily climb even while idling or afk. If I come back in a couple hours it'll probably climb 5-10%.

Seems like each chrome tab is about 100MB ram freed up, whenever I close one down.

unknown.png

we can't tell by that. you must have a lot of stuff loading up and running in the background, 8 chrome tabs is piggish as well, keep it down or buy more RAM. i can tell you have a boatload of processes running by the scrollbar

you can use taskbar startup tab to limit what starts automatically for one.

Rigs44

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Chrome probably accounts for 20+ of the processes, Steam and PIA (VPN) are another 15ish. Aside from that there are a boatload of svhosts running as well.

Is there any way to disable automatic 'quick scans' in windows defender, without disabling realtime protection or anything else?

https://appuals.com/100-disk-usage-by-system-and-compressed-memory-in-windows-10/

set your pagefile to AUTOMATIC and leave it alone. disable stupid superfetch as well. it's just a huge pig. not needed at all with SSDs and not needed even at all, period. memtest86 test your RAM too, i see hard faults in those graphs. failing memory is bad too.

check out that link for a fix