Question High RAM usage in Windows 10 ?

Blos88

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
hello

i just reinstalled windows 10 Pro x64 because i have a r7 3800x

i have a clean install but on idle my ram usage is 3gb, using opera 4gb, now im at 10gb with Opera & WoW.

I have 16gb of CORSAIR Vengeance RAM Memory LPX 3000mhz

i think RAM usage is too high only browsing and watching youtube, before the Windows reinstall I was only using 7gb RAM with Opera and WoW in the background.

How may i lower the usage ?

edit: i have 2 stick of 8gb dual channel RAM.
ty

If your virtual memory is automatically managed by Windows, it's normal.

Even if your RAM amount turns red, the computer is perfectly fine. You wouldn't want to buy 16GB of RAM just to see half of it being used?

The more RAM is used, the faster your computer runs.

Windows will keep unused code in ram in anticipation of possible quick reuse. It will also keep some ram free.
This is managed by windows based on your usage pattern.
Look at task manager/resource monitor/memory tab and the hard fault page rate column.
If you see a rate greater than zero, windows is short of ram and is swapping things in and out. I think this is unlikely for you.

hello

i just reinstalled windows 10 Pro x64 because i have a r7 3800x

i have a clean isntall,but on idle my ram usage is 3gb, using opera 4gb, now im at 10gb with opera,WoW.

i have 16gb of CORSAIR Vengeance RAM Memory LPX 3000mhz

i think is to high only browsing and watching youtube, before reinstalling i was using 7gbs with opera and wow in the background

how may i lower the usage?

edit: i have 2 stick of 8gb dual channel
ty
Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
How much ram is being used?

They know they use 3gb at idle, the question was why was Opera using 10gb.

restarting doesn't answer that question.
Idle does not mean much.

They could have run some stuff and then gone back to the desktop and now call that idle.

The reboot just gives a starting point for ref.

Then load the browser and check ram usage.

Side note.....why do folks put in post with no clue who they are replying to?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Side note.....why do folks put in post with no clue who they are replying to?

Guess I don't always hit reply when I answer.

Guess I shouldn't assume their idle was just after boot but 3gb isn't a lot still.
I can get to 1.8gb used on my WIn 10 vm but it only has 8gb of ram and nothing other than windows running on it. More things you add, the more it uses.

Unused ram is wasted space.
Windows will move out of your way if its using ram you want to use. When you close something it compresses it into ram 1st, only writing to disk either at shutdown or if you actually need the ram.

Windows grows to match your Ram amount. More ram you have more it uses.

Also, every single person has a different definition of Idle. What I accept isn't what others do. I don't mind if my PC uses 6gb at idle as I have 32gb of ram. I can't tell.

IS high ram usage noticeable in any way or you just looked? If PC is working fine, just ignore it. Everything is okay.

Guess I don't always hit reply when I answer.

Guess I shouldn't assume their idle was just after boot but 3gb isn't a lot still.
I can get to 1.8gb used on my WIn 10 vm but it only has 8gb of ram and nothing other than windows running on it. More things you add, the more it uses.

Unused ram is wasted space.
Windows will move out of your way if its using ram you want to use. When you close something it compresses it into ram 1st, only writing to disk either at shutdown or if you actually need the ram.

Windows grows to match your Ram amount. More ram you have more it uses.

Also, every single person has a different definition of Idle. What I accept isn't what others do. I don't mind if my PC uses 6gb at idle as I have 32gb of ram. I can't tell.

IS high ram usage noticeable in any way or you just looked? If PC is working fine, just ignore it. Everything is okay.
High ram usage at startup MAY be a problem.

If it's all needed stuff that's fine if it's not needed stop it you can load it later when/if it's needed.

Why use resources for something that's not needed?

Some apps when installed assume they must run all the time.....non-sense.

The forums should make the reply button the ONLY option to reply in a thread.