[SOLVED] High ram usage when pc is idle.

MousTea

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
Hey all,

Since yesterday I've noticed that my pc's memory usage is very high when being idle.

Specs:
I5 8600k
GTX 1080
16 GIGS of ram 2133 MHz speed ddr4 (XMP turned on)

The pc is idle and uses 12.5 gb of ram????
I've looked at my task manager and counted all processes up and it doesn't come to 12 gigs only to 1 /2 gig, so where does this ram usage come from????

Can you guys help me?

Thanks!

MousTea

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
upload a screenshot to imgur.com and post the link here

or do a fresh os install and don't install anything
I'm certain a fresh install will fix it, because I normally do it once a year to keep my pc fresh. Now is really not the time to fresh os install it since there are very important files on it.

Here is the screenshot:
MZTpVfn.png

Before we do all of this...

Post a screen shot of Task Manager -> Performance tab -> Memory page

Also if you want to properly add up RAM usage, go to Task Manager -> Details tab -> Right click on the headers and select "Select columns" -> Enable "Working Set". Working set is the actual RAM usage.

MousTea

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
you should always do backup for important files
and that still task manager, use resource monitor
Before we do all of this...

Post a screen shot of Task Manager -> Performance tab -> Memory page

Also if you want to properly add up RAM usage, go to Task Manager -> Details tab -> Right click on the headers and select "Select columns" -> Enable "Working Set". Working set is the actual RAM usage.

Here you can see both my resource monitor and my Performance tab

I'm sorry if it's a bit small, you should be able to zoom in.
Ln050tP.png

MousTea

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
test in safe mode?
can you get the screenshot before you open all those app?
Welp I just completely bricked my pc when trying to go in safe mode 😓. Reminder for everybody wanting to use MSCONFIG to go into safe mode, don't do it, just hold shift while you restart from the login screen and that will do the trick.
Don't worry luckily I had a restore point and I'am making a backup now.

If you're wondering what problem I was having:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...OqxEkUDuTYEjJ2JTIs72BgzpJZTyMmhtWJyyXFWfAvfXU

Neither of the solutions in this link worked for me, but luckily the restore point worked.
I don't really dare to go in safe mode now, but I'll get a screenshot on fresh boot

MousTea

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
UPDATE: Guys, I've found the culprit, about a week ago I created a virtual machine on Hyper-V, I wanted to put a windows vm on it, but decided not to do it yet since I didn't have time.
Now, that machine was up and running all the time. There was no OS installed on that machine yet so I didn't think it would really influence my ram, but it did, I assigned 8GB of the 16 ram that I have to the machine. It was using all that 8GB all the time, not even showing in taskbar.

I never knew it would always occupy the 8GB aslong that it was on. Also could it be that it was not showing up on the taskbar because I installed "Hyper-V" on a hacky way to the Windows Home version instead of the Windows Pro Version?