Question High (stable) fps but insane input delay / lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2020
Ok so this has been an issue for me for well over 4 months and I've tried literally everything to fix this issue, so my issue is that i get high fps in games, e.g. 180 fps stable in fortnite and 144 stable in apex legends... but i still feel like the game is so delayed and the mouse movement is extremely in-accurate, it feels like it's gliding, not smooth at all.

I've tried :
  1. using timer resolution (still use it ofc) and it is on 0.500 so it's working properly
  2. completely getting rid of all bloatware in windows
  3. unparking cpu cores
  4. cleaning / washing my mouse pad
  5. i've used MarkC's mouse fix aswell
  6. i've done all performance related optimization's in windows, from changing power plan to ultimate performance to disabling full screen optimizations.

And absolutely nothing worked, it's getting depressive honestly idk how to fix this issue.
PC specs :

CPU : Core i5-9400f

GPU : Rx 590 8gb

Ram : 16 gb ddr4 2666mhz (dual channel)

Mobo : asrock b360m-hdv.

thanks in advance <3.

Jun 11, 2020
Mine is Hyperx Fury 2666 Mhz 1.2V .
Can you test with different ram Gskill or Corsair i cant afford them right now if you can please test it
Problem is not related to gpu or mobo chipset i think because we have diffrent hardware but same problem

Apr 3, 2020
Mine is Hyperx Fury 2666 Mhz 1.2V .
Can you test with different ram Gskill or Corsair i cant afford them right now if you can please test it
Problem is not related to gpu or mobo chipset i think because we have diffrent hardware but same problem

i will be upgrading to a ryzen cpu and a better mobo and ram next month, i will make sure to tell u whether or not it helped noticeably.

Reactions: Quanticriver

staticks

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I also have an Asrock motherboard (Fatal1ty AB350 AM4 ITX). Sometimes I wonder if there's something wrong with Asrock motherboards.

OP, when you experience input lag in the game, and then you alt-tab to the Windows desktop, do you feel input lag on the desktop also? At least temporarily? Because that's what happens to me.

Seems like GPU load causes input lag, and doesn't get alleviated until the load is gone. Happens with both my RX 580 and my GTX 770.

Also, input lag seems to go away if I uninstall my GPU drivers and just use the generic display drivers. Of course, this means the GPU isn't being utilized. Indicates an issue with the GPU, the PCIe bus, the GPU drivers, the software between the GPU/Windows... Maybe even a PSU/electrical issue? Who the hell knows. There are so many factors with this is elusive problem that I've been trying to fix for years now.

I'm seriously considering building a new PC with a Ryzen APU just to see if I can get around this bulls#!*. I just hope the upcoming Ryzen 4700G APU—or at least the one after that—has enough juice to run my games. I don't care if I have to play at 720p on medium, I just want to be able to play competitively again.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020
I have the same issues for a long time. I tried everything. I have changed several graphics card, GTX 1060, GTX 1050 , RX580. With all cards , i have sttutter and i feel delayed hitreg ( like some kind of input lag) and dont feel smoothness game. With RX580 i did not have stutters but still the delayed hitreg. Also changed the complete setup, before i have i7-8700 with a ASUS motherboard, my second setup is AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with Gigabyte X gaming, in both i had GTX 1070 ti ( SUPERJETSTREAM PALIT).
It seems that many of us have the same problem. Someone who knows that the problem is, please xD.

It might be useful to know what mouse and monitor is being used. It's possible that latency could be getting introduced from one of those. You could try testing another monitor and pointing device, if you happen to have others on hand.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020
I have the same issues for a long time. I tried everything. I have changed several graphics card, GTX 1060, GTX 1050 , RX580. With all cards , i have sttutter and i feel delayed hitreg ( like some kind of input lag) and dont feel smoothness game. With RX580 i did not have stutters but still the delayed hitreg. Also changed the complete setup, before i have i7-8700 with a ASUS motherboard, my second setup is AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with Gigabyte X gaming, in both i had GTX 1070 ti ( SUPERJETSTREAM PALIT).
It seems that many of us have the same problem. Someone who knows that the problem is, please xD.

Maybe PSU ? I changed everything except psu and gpu still same

Aug 23, 2020
Mouse : Renshi Guang ( newskill )
Monitor : aoc g2460pf

I don't think it's the monitor or the mouse. Power supply also change it.
Could be the monitor?. The monitor i dont think that was the culprit the stutters but i dont know if the input lag could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.