[SOLVED] high storage hard drive makes wild noises

ebicgaymer

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
I just got a 14 TB hard drive and it's making loud noises and makes popping noises a lot, it constantly makes a sound but it's not like a "grinding" noise I've been reading about on the internet. It seems to be working just fine too, should I be worried?

Solution
Perhaps see this;

As for your HDD being upright, if the noise is reduced when laying flat, that's actually a solution. Make and model of your case? IMHO, in 2022, people tend to use large platter drives as storage for their critical content. SSD's have taken over people's system's with regards to OS and app's/launchers drives and a dedicated SSD as a game library.
I bought a 16TB WD "Gold" drive and I'm finding that it's a lot noiser than my previous drives. There's nothing wrong with it, it's reading and writing just fine at the speeds that I expect and all the SMART data is green - but it seems less well balanced and therefore vibrates more than my older drives do. It actually tended to cause some buzzing in my desktop case - I had to move it to a different drive slot to avoid resonating with the case.

ebicgaymer

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
What sort of content are you storing on said drive? Make and model of HDD? Perhaps parse a video with audio of what you're experiencing.
So this HDD is from seagate it has 7200 RPM and 256 mb cache and it makes crazy noises when downloading and minor noises while reading. It is upright in the case and not lying flat as I see other PCs do it, i've heard people say it being flat has it quieter but this just seems crazy. I've checked a few Windows 10 cmd commands to see if it says the drive is fine and they all said it's good, I do not know how to get a SMART report, but I would like to get one.

Here is a video recording of my PC while installing GTA 5 from Steam, makes the same noise installing any game from Steam though. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xZBFmUg6-Qc

Lutfij

Titan
Perhaps see this;

As for your HDD being upright, if the noise is reduced when laying flat, that's actually a solution. Make and model of your case? IMHO, in 2022, people tend to use large platter drives as storage for their critical content. SSD's have taken over people's system's with regards to OS and app's/launchers drives and a dedicated SSD as a game library.

Solution

ebicgaymer

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
Perhaps see this;

I don't know what my case is called but this is my PC https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pav...56gb-ssd-shadow-black/6468104.p?skuId=6468104 I replaced the ram with 2 new 8 GB ones and I'm going to be honest I feel like this PC was a mistake the PSU doesn't have a switch and the motherboard doesn't have an actual name and it's impossible to fine information about it online.

I did come across that website you linked and the crystal disk info but I didn't download it because it looked sketchy, this is the information it gives me I don't know what most of this means actually.

https://ibb.co/HHBTK42

Lutfij

Titan
Oh boy, the HP prebuilt...yeah I shouldn't say anymore regarding that system. Your HDD is fine(your current values are higher than your threshold values) though I'd keep an eye on the numbers. Out of curiosity, how many partitions do you have on your noisy HDD?

ebicgaymer

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
Oh boy, the HP prebuilt...yeah I shouldn't say anymore regarding that system. Your HDD is fine(your current values are higher than your threshold values) though I'd keep an eye on the numbers. Out of curiosity, how many partitions do you have on your noisy HDD?
I have 1 NTFS partition on it, I was going to leave a few TBs unformatted just so I could do whatever I wanted like install a Linux distribution (that's what I did with my old hard drive, I had a lot of fun with that OS) but I was just too excited and formatted the entire thing.
Also, is my PC really that bad? I haven't really had any problems actually using it and only a few video games have performance issues.