News High-tech industry legend leaves Intel board — Intel's stock dropped 6% since the announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
If they don't start making changes, this will not end well for Intel and the PC gaming industry as we need competition to avoid soaring prices.

They are making changes. The problem is that any change they make is cast in a negative light by parroted news articles that see everything they do as “well this can’t be good” and twist the narrative to support the view.

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
They are making changes. The problem is that any change they make is cast in a negative light by parroted news articles that see everything they do as “well this can’t be good” and twist the narrative to support the view.

They should discontinue their GPU adventure as they are too far behind compared to the 2 main market players. Yet they continue with it. That's not a good business decision.

This is a time to use their strengths, not to branch into new business segments.
They should leverage their server know how, there integrated graphics division, their laptop processor solutions, etc...
Instead I keep reading about yet another new business segment they are entering.

It reminds me very much about what happened to Commodore after the Amiga 500.

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Can somebody translate 'reprioritize various commitments.' into the actual truth?

When Jim Keller left Intel he said it was for "personal reasons", which recently was debunked by MLID who was told by Intel employees that Keller left because of Internal Intel BS of sorts.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
They should discontinue their GPU adventure as they are too far behind compared to the 2 main market players. Yet they continue with it. That's not a good business decision.

This is a time to use their strengths, not to branch into new business segments.
They should leverage their server know how, there integrated graphics division, their laptop processor solutions, etc...
Instead I keep reading about yet another new business segment they are entering.

It reminds me very much about what happened to Commodore after the Amiga 500.

Now go back and reread what you posted. Intel needs that product to continue being competitive. It’s primarily competition in data center are nVidia and AMD. Both of which can offer a full top-down solution because they make/sell everything they need. nVidia is so overly bloated in market value they can more than afford to move into the data center CPU market, which is exactly what they have been doing. So you have two competing options that provide CPU, GPU, and fabric. Intel will continue to lose data center market share until it can provide a full market stack.

And to claim they are “so far behind compared to the 2 main market players” after only a single generation product release is asinine. Their products were physically competitive with 3/4 of the current products in the space at the time of their release. Sure, it’s well known that the software was weak but you learn and you improve. Giving up after so much investment and a mostly successful single generation would be too costly.

I understand if you’re the type of investor that wants to make a quick buck after only a few months, but this is the tech sector. It takes years or decades to develop and streamline solid products. If that’s what you are then find another sector to invest in. This market is where you invest because you believe in the inevitable future outcome three or more iterations down the road.

DavidLejdar

Notable
Sep 11, 2022
If needed, I can take the job. First thing, I'd put the focus a bit more back on the consumer market. You know, consumer market, as in the guys, who may not spend much at once, but do so somewhat regularly, even if not, uhm, "encouraged to" by MS for Win11.

And what would that entail? Foremost sitting down with OEMs and PC case makers, to talk about an improved standard for modern motherboards and eventual standard for PC Cases - with then putting AMD in the CC.

Similar then also in regard to smaller PCs, such as thin client for office use, etc.

Which isn't to say, that B2B in terms of e.g. supplying an car manufacturer with some of the technological products needed, that such isn't an interesting field. But it isn't just microtechnology, which can be somewhat complex.

In example, Intel in Magdeburg (which isn't far from, where I currently live, btw). Assuming that one could already rely on a specific date, of when the production starts, to provide i.e. an car manufacturer with chips e.g. for a new car model, that usually implies that they have their production line also set up. And in that context, it already needs skilled persons, to be in talks with potential clients - because the way that works is somewhat different to the "chipset-CPU" model in PCs, as the individual client needs are usually for a custom product.

Like, that new car model, that may be designed foremostly for customers in cities and in rural areas for short distance travel - and as such it doesn't need large batteries, as the speed is limited and range also. But the car may still want to be a modern design, including features such as a UBC-C port on the passenger's side of the car. And there may be some new features about the battery as well, and so on.

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
Now go back and reread what you posted. Intel needs that product to continue being competitive. It’s primarily competition in data center are nVidia and AMD. Both of which can offer a full top-down solution because they make/sell everything they need. nVidia is so overly bloated in market value they can more than afford to move into the data center CPU market, which is exactly what they have been doing. So you have two competing options that provide CPU, GPU, and fabric. Intel will continue to lose data center market share until it can provide a full market stack.

And to claim they are “so far behind compared to the 2 main market players” after only a single generation product release is asinine. Their products were physically competitive with 3/4 of the current products in the space at the time of their release. Sure, it’s well known that the software was weak but you learn and you improve. Giving up after so much investment and a mostly successful single generation would be too costly.

I understand if you’re the type of investor that wants to make a quick buck after only a few months, but this is the tech sector. It takes years or decades to develop and streamline solid products. If that’s what you are then find another sector to invest in. This market is where you invest because you believe in the inevitable future outcome three or more iterations down the road.

To say Intel is competing in the GPU market, is laughable. They compete and are the #1 in integrated (laptop) GPU's and have been for a long time. They beat both Nvidia and AMD in that market segment.

But they are not even a competitive spark in the consumer GPU market, let alone the Datacenter GPU market.
Just go look at any hardware survey, like the Steam hardware survey for example. Intel holds a 7.57 % market share in GPU's...

Now on the other hand they hold a commanding 75% of the CPU market, and they used to hold a commanding lead in the datacenter CPU space.

If they are planning on producing ARC GPU's for datacenters, they will go bankrupt. They do not have the funds to develop and make the jump from consumer to Datacenter GPU.

There are very few people who use an ARC based GPU solution as it is, and that is not going to change anytime soon if ever.

That is why I said they should concentrate on integrated graphics, CPU's, datacenter CPU's and all there other ventures especially in the server market.

Status
Not open for further replies.