Question High Temperature Problems

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
I built this PC about 6 years ago. I have never overclocked it. Recently when playing video games (mostly the Division 2) I have been receiving temperature warnings about the CPU. My cpu temps after about an hour of playing rises to between 65-70C. However, my V-Core 1 temp is very high at the same time, between 70-75C. I replaced the CPU thermal paste, I use Arctic Silver Ceramique. Still no temperature drop. My case is well ventilated with 2 front fans drawing air in, 1 bottom fan drawing air in, 2 top fans exhausting air out and 1 rear fan exhausting air. PSU draws air from bottom of case and exhausts. I am unsure whether the CPU is the problem or if the Motherboard is dying? Could it be anything else?

Rosewill Nighthawk 117 Case
AMD FX-8150
Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 Bios Version 2901 (Newest-2016)
Cryorig M9a CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4x4gb) ddr3 1866
MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8gb
Corsair 850w 80 Plus Gold PSU

FX processors do run hot and do not tolerate heat well.
If you have overclocked, back off some.
Normally, I would not endorse putting ant more into a FX build.
In your case, buying a good air cooler will help and such a unit can be transported later to a new build.
Look for a tower type cooler using 140mm fans like the noctua NH-D15s, about $80

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
I have never overclocked the system. I have a tower cpu cooler with 92mm fan. True, FX cpu's tend to run hot but not that hot. I really think its the MB, so I guess I will run it until it dies and then upgrade to Ryzen. Thanks anyway for your input.