[SOLVED] High temps on i7 - 7700k!

VaroOP

Reputable
Oct 22, 2016
My PC build : https://pcpartpicker.com/b/4rkdnQ
The cooler is NH-D15S not the normal NH-D15.

I used this CPU for around 2 years without any overclocking and didn't pay any attention to the temperatures, thinking that the NH-D15S is enough for even overclocked 7700k(s). That was a mistake I guess.
Now, that I want to overclock it since I am upgrading to Nvidia ampere it has come to my attention that even at 4.2 Ghz @ 1.215V the temps are 45C at idle and 90C when stressed using Intel Burn test.

Is this a case of bad thermal paste application or bad luck at the silicon lottery ?

Can't begin to overclock with stock clock at these temps! :(

Solution
What the guru above me said... I mean it has the K in there so technically you can OC her to hell and back but as the guru said you need beefy cooling. I think a Dark Rock Pro 4 would make things much more OCable at great temps with low noise. But it is expensive its like 90 bucks to the door. Also it is big. TLDR 🙏✝🤷‍♂️

I would suggest a Hyper 212 Evo for that CPU. I had a 4930k we got my paps a 9900k Aorus Elite, Fractal Design, 32GB G.SKILL that only clocks to 2133Mhz lol. Then I noticed it was a hair faster then my at that time 4930k. I noticed for example OBS launched seconds ahead of mine. Anything 2700x and above and 9900k and above is a work horse and no graphics card will out grow it for a long long time to come...
I7 _7700K was never designed to be Overclcock really. OFC you can but you will need a decent water cooled AIO.
For anything above 4.5GHz then a min of 240mm twin rad is required.
It is advisable to replace your TIM every two years with a decent paste such as AS5,MX4 or Thermal grizzly.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
What the guru above me said... I mean it has the K in there so technically you can OC her to hell and back but as the guru said you need beefy cooling. I think a Dark Rock Pro 4 would make things much more OCable at great temps with low noise. But it is expensive its like 90 bucks to the door. Also it is big. TLDR 🙏✝🤷‍♂️

I would suggest a Hyper 212 Evo for that CPU. I had a 4930k we got my paps a 9900k Aorus Elite, Fractal Design, 32GB G.SKILL that only clocks to 2133Mhz lol. Then I noticed it was a hair faster then my at that time 4930k. I noticed for example OBS launched seconds ahead of mine. Anything 2700x and above and 9900k and above is a work horse and no graphics card will out grow it for a long long time to come. Theres handful of games that really take advantage of CPU and HTing or SMTing. Maye 4 games out of how many thousands if you include console. Once they figure that out then they must figure it out to a tea then still I dont think a game will need more then 8 cores and 16 threads for deep into the future. 🙏✝☮💯🤷‍♀️

Solution