High temps on new build.

cabezanova

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
Hello,

I have finished my 2nd build ever, and am getting very high CPU temp readings after post.

Specs are as follows:

i7-7700k
ASUS Maximus IX Hero
EVGA Geforce GTX 1060
Corsair RM 750 PSU

I am using an Antec Kuhler 920 water cooler, with thermal paste applied in a cross pattern.

After post, I get into the Bios settings (after a fan speed warning) and see that the CPU temp is climbing very quickly. I go into fan settings and try optimizing. CPU temp climbs into the 80s so I power off.

I have tried plugging the Antec into the CPU_FAN connector and the W_PUMP+ connector, but the temp climbs quickly either way.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

120 mm radiator will likely be too small for 7700K.

Looks like you don't mention connecting the USB power cable. I guess it has no power to it. Have you tried reading the directions.

Artic Silver 5 instructions:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

SneakLerd

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
I find that the cooler is compatible with LGA 775, 1155, 1156 and 1366. Not 1151, which your CPU is using.
I have no clue why it's incompatible, but that's atleast what they say on their site.
It sounds like your CPU gets no cooling at all.

cabezanova

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
The USB power cable is plugged into the USB 2.0 connector (1314) on the motherboard. It is making enough racket that I know it is on. Do I need to buy a new cooler?

It looks like I applied more than the recommended amount of thermal paste, but not by too much.

SneakLerd

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

There is no need to apply paste to the cooler, the cooler comes preapplied with paste. Are you sure you have removed the protective plastic coat?
If you have not watched the video yet, I recommed you do it; https://youtu.be/sCqEwz8VSMQ

cabezanova

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
This is a actually the same cooler I used in the previous build, and was cleaned with isopropyl alcohol before installing on this one.

I do appreciate your help.