May 30, 2021
Hi guys, I'm a little worried about my RTX 2070 super, the highest temp I got is on Sea of Thieves it sits around 80°C and the maximum is 83°C do you think it's normal? I also wanted to replace my fans (now I have the Sharkoon TG5 case fans) with the Corsair LL120 RGB and I also wanted to put 5/6 fans in my case. 3 in the front 1 in the back and 1/2 up. But my mobo (MSI B450 Tomahawk Max) does have only pins for 4 fans and not 5/6. So do you think a fan splitter is safe for my mobo?

Solution
The temp is not too high and is definitely safe. Better airflow will help for sure. Fan splitters are safe, the only issue is that you can't individually control the connected fans, they will both run at the same speed you input.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Hi guys, I'm a little worried about my RTX 2070 super, the highest temp I got is on Sea of Thieves it sits around 80°C and the maximum is 83°C do you think it's normal? I also wanted to replace my fans (now I have the Sharkoon TG5 case fans) with the Corsair LL120 RGB and I also wanted to put 5/6 fans in my case. 3 in the front 1 in the back and 1/2 up. But my mobo (MSI B450 Tomahawk Max) does have only pins for 4 fans and not 5/6. So do you think a fan splitter is safe for my mobo?
You know honestly I have had this issue for over a year now, very close to 2 years, and never ever ever could I find a way to get it below the 80's let alone 70's. I do have a 2070 super, but that GPU isn't having temp issues. My 2080 however has temp issues.

Let me just put it in a simple manner. If you are comfortable with changing the thermal paste on the GPU, get NT-H2. It helped my 2080 tremendously. Previous crypto mining temps went up to the 80's. NT-H2? 40's. Gaming? In 70's, which is safe. I wish I could get it lower, but I'm just unlucky there.

All up to you, but it's definitely worth it. If you plan on doing so, make sure you use the X method when applying the NT-H2. Basically means just make an X on the GPU square thingy (many people call it the "die").

Also consider overclocking/undervolting the card. I set up my 2070 Super to a limit of 1920MHz @ 900mV and the card went from floating around 75C if I let it do its thing to about 63C in a room that's usually around 25C. And there was almost no appreciable performance loss for doing this.

Your millage may vary, but I say this is a pretty good option.