High temps with CryoRig H7 + FX 8350

Hamsalad

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
I recently installed a cryorig h7 cpu cooler for my fx 8350 and while playing overwatch I am constantly getting temp readings (using hwmonitor) that are in the mid to high 70's and peaking at 80c..... I have the side panel off of my case and am running the cpu fan at 100% at all times. I tried re applying the thermal paste twice and no change. My stock cooler with stock thermal paste never got above 68 ish celsius.. This is my setup:

AMD FX 8350
Cryorig H7
Asus m5a78l usb 3
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060
Rosewill 500w 80 bronze PSU
Using AS5 Thermal Paste

Solution
OK before I say much more I want to be clear on what happened. While stress testing, the Thermal Margin Dropped in to the negative numbers and turned red, Correct?

If so this is definitely a CPU overheating issue and not VRM overheating. VRM overheating will show up as the cores throttling but the Thermal Margin says in the positive numbers, green.

When the cores throttle it is meant to lower the CPU temperature, that is why there is a drop in temps. This is common for an overheating FX CPU. Since this is happening with the new cooler, which is much better than the stock cooler it leads me to believe that it is an installation issue. So here are some things to double check to be sure it is installed correctly:
1. Make sure the...
Use AMD Overdrive and watch the Thermal Margin to see if you are indeed overheating. This reads backwards than normal temps, if it reaches 0°C you are over heating and the CPU will start to throttle the core frequency to cool itself down.

There is a logging feature to that will allow you to play a game and still record the high thermal margin and lowest thermal margin. HWmonitor can not accurately show the temps on the FX and A series CPU's so AMD OverDrive is the way to go for these temp readings.

EDIT: Just in case you are not aware, Do not overclock with that motherboard because of the VRM does not have heat sinks and will overheat causing voltage throttling.

Hamsalad

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

So I opened the program and at idle its telling me that the frequency of the CPU is 4118 and its in red. Is this bad?

Hamsalad

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
I ran a stress test and the thermal margin went into the negatives and red, also when it throttled the chart showed a significant drop and went right back up to 100. I'm thinking it's the VRM overheating on my mobo

OK before I say much more I want to be clear on what happened. While stress testing, the Thermal Margin Dropped in to the negative numbers and turned red, Correct?

If so this is definitely a CPU overheating issue and not VRM overheating. VRM overheating will show up as the cores throttling but the Thermal Margin says in the positive numbers, green.

When the cores throttle it is meant to lower the CPU temperature, that is why there is a drop in temps. This is common for an overheating FX CPU. Since this is happening with the new cooler, which is much better than the stock cooler it leads me to believe that it is an installation issue. So here are some things to double check to be sure it is installed correctly:
1. Make sure the Back Plate, if different than the stock, is evenly tightened down to the motherboard and not over tightened. Over tightening a back plate can cause issue with the CPU and Ram traces in the board.
2. Make sure you are not using to much thermal paste. To much TIM is as bad as not having any because it then causes a restriction in thermal conductivity. Only use a small pea amount on the CPU then mount the cooler. Do not lift the cooler once it is placed on the CPU IF you do start over. Be sure to use as pure as you can get rubbing alcohol, 90% or above, and a coffee filter to clean both the CPU and mounting surface of the Cooler.
3. Make sure you are using the proper mounts for your motherboard. While this seems like a well Duh thing, crap happens and sometimes we mess up and do not pay as close attention as we should. Go over your Cryorg instructions and double check. Many times it is very hard to goof this up because of how different AMD and Intel brackets are but it pays to be sure.
4. Make sure the cooler is tightened down properly and it can not wobble. It may be allowed to slide from side to side slightly but not warble lifting off the CPU.
5. Make sure the fan pushes air through the cooler out towards the back of the case.

Solution

Hamsalad

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

I actually took out the CryoRig H7 and put the stock 8350 cooler back in and since I did, my temps have not been above 60. I think the problem lies in the 8350 needing a top down fan cooler for the cpu, so that it constantly has air being blown down on it. Thank you for all the help. I think I am going to try to send back the cooler and get a different top down style one!

With that motherboard it is best to have a top down cooler to keep the VRM cool since there is no heatsink on them. This does not explain the CPU over heating since as I mentioned earlier VRM voltage throttling would not show as the CPU's thermal margin going to 0°C or in to the negatives. There are many that run the 8350's with a tower cooler and do not have issues so it is not a 8350 issue as much as mounting issues.

While looking for a top down cooler make sure it can handle 140W TDP or higher. This way you are sure to know that it will cool your CPU adequately.