[SOLVED] High Temps with Ryzen 5 3600 in any game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 20, 2020
Hi. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 stock (with precision boost overdrive enabled) mounted on a A320 motherboard with 8 Gb of RAM (single channel) and a GTX 1650 S
I play several games like the new Warzone, Apex, Anthem, League and Fortnite.
Usually, my cpu isn't running at 100% but the temps, at least for me, are high like 75-80 degrees Celsius or more.
At idle, it ranges from 40 - 55, usually staying in the 50's ºC
Anyone knows why?
(Im using the default cooler that comes with the cpu itself, Wraith Stealth cooler I think.)

Last edited:
Solution
1)Yes.
2)It wouldn't decrease cpu usage, but allow it to work faster, so it can complete more tasks.
3)Dual channel, at least. The gains from faster memory aren't as noticeable with lower tier graphics cards, but you ARE going to want to upgrade the gpu again at some point, so why hold off on faster memory as well?

schofield01

Commendable
Mar 20, 2020
So you're saying the problem might be because of the temperature and BIOS drivers?
My BIOS is updated to the latest version (keep in mind that I have a A320M-K Prime motherboard).
I've been testing my pc today without the side panel on (I have a Cooler Master K280 case) and the temps were much better. I've been running games with - 10ºC on average and I haven't experienced the stutter of the whole computer yet. Makes me think that maybe the problem was the temps. The stutter makes the whole computer freeze for less than a second and makes the audio glitch (like it's prolonging it) for that same moment.

My issue was obviously not primarily attributed to temp issues, as since I had the water cooler installed the issue from the very beginning (sound tearing and stuttering) was still there....it was only after I clean installed win 10 that the issue has not come back (plus I updated all mb drivers - not sure if that was a fix though). Im not sure if this is a correlation to conclude a fix, but I have no issues.

However i am not sure if my temps are still okay under load (even with a water cooler installed)??

--- >> Anyone able to provide insight?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
--- >> Anyone able to provide insight?
Something that is commonly missed when going straight to AIO liquid coolers is that you sacrifice the direct cooling over the motherboard's VRMs that is normally provided by air coolers.
When one has a cheap, heatsink-less mobo like that, it means the VRMs need some help(nearby case fans) to stay cool.
The OP has a rather stuffy case - what about yours?

schofield01

Commendable
Mar 20, 2020
Something that is commonly missed when going straight to AIO liquid coolers is that you sacrifice the direct cooling over the motherboard's VRMs that is normally provided by air coolers.
When one has a cheap, heatsink-less mobo like that, it means the VRMs need some help(nearby case fans) to stay cool.
The OP has a rather stuffy case - what about yours?

Thanks for the reply.

My case has ample ventilation (top of case and bottom), is internally spacious and has 3 intake fans at front (2 for cooler radiator), but only one rear fan...

I think my contribution to the OP was that we both had the same issue with the same CPU and that I may have found part of the solution (quite a coincidence nonetheless).

With regards to my build, I was hoping to get clarification on whether I should be experiencing cooler results with the current set up?

Mar 20, 2020
So, from what you've tested so far, it looks like the problem is actually the motherboard?
The heatsink-less VRMs are overheating, then power throttling, causing the 'hiccups' you're normally seeing, from the looks of it.
you think it is? I don't know actually
People say the A320 motherboards are not really recommended for the 3rd Gen Ryzen's but is it really that?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have a better idea?

Post #24: "I've been testing my pc today without the side panel on (I have a Cooler Master K280 case) and the temps were much better. I've been running games with - 10ºC on average and I haven't experienced the stutter of the whole computer yet."

With the side panel off, SOMETHING in your case that was suffering high temps was then getting adequate enough air that the stuttering was no longer present.

Everything has a thermal tolerance of some level... but only so many can cause the stuttering you're experiencing:
-Cpu: already ruled that one out
-Gpu: also ruled out? Should be good until 83C.
-Mobo VRMs: Possible. Causes power throttling when overheating.
-Ram: the thermal headroom on ram is high, even on kits with 3600mhz XMP enabled. Next!
-M.2: You don't appear to have an M.2 drive. Nonetheless, these devices were designed to run warm, so I doubt this would cause it.
-SSD, 2.5": These weren't designed to run as warm as their slim sibling. This could cause stuttering and eventual system freezing if operating over 50C.
-HDD: Same as above.
-Power supply: This would normally shut off and refuse to power back on until it has cooled off, so I doubt this is it.

3 out of the 8 appear to fit your scenario.

EDIT: Oh, I left one out - Gpu Vram. This one's caused by poor manufacturing design. I don't think this is it either, unless you notice anything out of the ordinary in Msi Afterburner...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Aside from installing additional case fans are there any other options to mitigate the temps on the mobo?
2 other options, and neither are very 'good' per se:
1)Lock cpu frequency to base clock speeds, but then you sacrifice more cpu performance...
2)Replace the AIO with an air cooler, but that will cost more than just adding 2x 120 or 140mm fans as top exhaust...

Mar 20, 2020
Do you have a better idea?

Post #24: "I've been testing my pc today without the side panel on (I have a Cooler Master K280 case) and the temps were much better. I've been running games with - 10ºC on average and I haven't experienced the stutter of the whole computer yet."

With the side panel off, SOMETHING in your case that was suffering high temps was then getting adequate enough air that the stuttering was no longer present.

Everything has a thermal tolerance of some level... but only so many can cause the stuttering you're experiencing:
-Cpu: already ruled that one out
-Gpu: also ruled out? Should be good until 83C.
-Mobo VRMs: Possible. Causes power throttling when overheating.
-Ram: the thermal headroom on ram is high, even on kits with 3600mhz XMP enabled. Next!
-M.2: You don't appear to have an M.2 drive. Nonetheless, these devices were designed to run warm, so I doubt this would cause it.
-SSD, 2.5": These weren't designed to run as warm as their slim sibling. This could cause stuttering and eventual system freezing if operating over 50C.
-HDD: Same as above.
-Power supply: This would normally shut off and refuse to power back on until it has cooled off, so I doubt this is it.

3 out of the 8 appear to fit your scenario.

EDIT: Oh, I left one out - Gpu Vram. This one's caused by poor manufacturing design. I don't think this is it either, unless you notice anything out of the ordinary in Msi Afterburner...
From what you've said, maybe the SSD and HDD might be the problem but I don't know. Yesterday, at night, my pc was running with the side panel off and it still stuttered twice while watching youtube videos at 1080p60FPS. I don't know the cpu temperature at the time but I don't think it was hot considering the room was cool and, while doing tasks like these, the cpu only gets to 45º - 50ºC Max (with the side panel off).
I see that my gpu and cpu temps are very similar with the side panel on, due to the fact that the hot air stays inside the case longer than it should. Following this statement, with the side panel off, the cpu and gpu run now at 69ºC - 72ºC Max on Anthem with lowest graphics at 1080p (please take note that the cpu is not being fully used (only 50-60 % of usage) and that the GPU is only being used at 50-70 % depending on the situation)
What do you recommend to do?
I've been thinking of getting a side fan that runs at 1400RPM and another fan for the back of the case. Problem is, my motherboard only has a four pin connection for one chassis fan.
I've also been thinking of getting a new cooler, the "Nox Cooler Hummer H-190 Multisocket" (you can find it here: https://www.pcbem.pt/loja/cooling-2/nox-cooler-hummer-h-190-multisocket/ ) but I don't know if that will make much difference

Mar 20, 2020
Ok. 2 things stick out: the cpu and ram.
But the only reason the cpu sticks out is BECAUSE of the ram. It's single channel and slow, and that hurts the cpu's performance via high CCX die latency.
So putting the ram at dual channel with another module of 8 GB would increase the performance? Would that decrease cpu usage and improve overall experience? Or for that to happen, I would need dual channel AND faster ram?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Yes.
2)It wouldn't decrease cpu usage, but allow it to work faster, so it can complete more tasks.
3)Dual channel, at least. The gains from faster memory aren't as noticeable with lower tier graphics cards, but you ARE going to want to upgrade the gpu again at some point, so why hold off on faster memory as well?

Solution
Mar 20, 2020
So basically I should focus on getting another module of ram so that it can work dual channel
Talking about my gpu, I recently got it and I have no problems with it. It runs most things normally at 1080p 60fps with ultra, although I never play at Ultra because I have no RAM for it nor do I think my cooling state would handle it well.
Thank you for everything