High unexplained memory usage on a new machine.

Godskrieg

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Built a new machine recently (specs below) and I went with 8 GB of RAM because all I do is game, and I didn't see the need for more, and RAM is easy to upgrade. Anyways my system is currently using 97% of its memory, I don't know why, task manager doesn't show anything using more then 200 MB (which is Firefox), and the rest are below the 2-3 MB. It doesn't add up, help please?

Specs:
CPU: Skylake 6600k @4.5 GHz
MOBO: Gigabyte z170x- Gaming 7
8GB Kingston RAM @2400 MHz
780Ti
2 SSD's
1 HDD
Windows 10

Solution
High memory usage since Windows 8/8.1 and now in 10 is also known as a memory leak. This can stem form a corruption in OS over time(mandatory windows update) or through a corrupt installer. The simplest solution is to try a system restore if the issue cropped up after a mandatory windows update or a repair install. If the aforementioned don't work then try a reinstall of your OS but with a recreated bootable USB installer to rule out a corruption in your installer.

It'd be a good idea to scope out if any BIOS updates are available.

*If the issue(later on) stems from your GPU drivers taking too much resources then the drivers will need a re-installation. Try installing previously...

Lutfij

Titan
High memory usage since Windows 8/8.1 and now in 10 is also known as a memory leak. This can stem form a corruption in OS over time(mandatory windows update) or through a corrupt installer. The simplest solution is to try a system restore if the issue cropped up after a mandatory windows update or a repair install. If the aforementioned don't work then try a reinstall of your OS but with a recreated bootable USB installer to rule out a corruption in your installer.

It'd be a good idea to scope out if any BIOS updates are available.

*If the issue(later on) stems from your GPU drivers taking too much resources then the drivers will need a re-installation. Try installing previously known stable drivers if the latest ones are meddling.

Solution