[SOLVED] Higher Capacity SSD or SSD with DRAM?

Jun 18, 2020
Hi, I want to upgrade my notebook, it has 5400 rpm HDD. In my country, Crucial BX500 480GB is in the same price with Samsung 860 EVO 250GB. This is my main pc and I'm not a gamer or I don't use programs that requires so many resource. Just browsing the internet, using Office 365, Adobe Illustrator and playing Hearts of Iron 4, Civilization 6 etc.

I think 250GB will enough for this kind of usage but I'm thinking what if I need more space in the future? They say DRAM-less SSD's has shorter lifespan but if I can use Crucial nearly 5 years it will be enough to me. Using 250GB SSD+ 1TB HDD in ODD slot with a caddy is also an option.

So, which one do you recommend me? Thanks.

Solution
The performance difference among all ssd devices is negligible compared to the improvement you will get from replacing a 5400rpm hdd.
You will be amazed and pleased with how much quicker it makes your laptop.
Figure out how much drive space you will need.
My suggestion is to buy a single ssd large enough for your needs in whatever your time frame is.
Crucial has a ssd migration aid. I do not know how well it works.
I have used the samsung ssd migration app on many laptops without issue.
Here is a link to the software and the instructions:
The process is simple enough. You copy your Windows C drive to the new ssd attached via a usb to sata adapter cable.
The...
Hi, I want to upgrade my notebook, it has 5400 rpm HDD. In my country, Crucial BX500 480GB is in the same price with Samsung 860 EVO 250GB. This is my main pc and I'm not a gamer or I don't use programs that requires so many resource. Just browsing the internet, using Office 365, Adobe Illustrator and playing Hearts of Iron 4, Civilization 6 etc.

I think 250GB will enough for this kind of usage but I'm thinking what if I need more space in the future? They say DRAM-less SSD's has shorter lifespan but if I can use Crucial nearly 5 years it will be enough to me. Using 250GB SSD+ 1TB HDD in ODD slot with a caddy is also an option.

So, which one do you recommend me? Thanks.
Samsung is mostly in highest price bracket. DRAM in a disk is used to cache data and without it large amount of data in a long stream gets clogged up and slows disk read/write operation, nothing to do with longevity. Only possible relation could be because of higher overall quality of disks with large cache.

The performance difference among all ssd devices is negligible compared to the improvement you will get from replacing a 5400rpm hdd.
My suggestion is to buy a single ssd large enough for your needs in whatever your time frame is.
The process is simple enough. You copy your Windows C drive to the new ssd attached via a usb to sata adapter cable.
The process is slow, it might take an hour.
When done, you replace the HDD with the new ssd and boot.
Samsung offers a lower priced unit, the 1tb 860 QVO costs $130 in the US.
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-qvo-series-1tb/p/N82E16820147738

Solution
Jun 18, 2020
The process is slow, it might take an hour.
When done, you replace the HDD with the new ssd and boot.
Samsung offers a lower priced unit, the 1tb 860 QVO costs $130 in the US.
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-qvo-series-1tb/p/N82E16820147738

In some forums or reddit, they say DRAM-less SSD's are useless and very bad. Is it true? Especially they say don't buy a SSD without DRAM, it's waste of money. I think they're exaggerating but I have concerns about buying one without DRAM.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
In some forums or reddit, they say DRAM-less SSD's are useless and very bad. Is it true? Especially they say don't buy a SSD without DRAM, it's waste of money. I think they're exaggerating but I have concerns about buying one without DRAM.
For what your doing the BX will be fine it's not the best but will be so much faster than your current drive you will be very impressed.

It never hurts to have some extra storage.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k0UlXXpM_hY

Last edited: