Highschool soon D:

B_I_O_M

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I highly recommend extra-curricular activities. Personally, my first 2 years of high school I stuck with chess, and I was part of the varsity team. While it wasn't all I had, it at least made school bearable, especially because I was too lazy to do well at my actual classes.

I also recommend finding a group of friends that you be around all the time. While you may not keep those friends during later years, they, like extra-curricular activities, will make life bearable. Friends are also a nice perk to have when they are all in your classes, making studying a blasty-blast.

But, most importantly, don't let any bad things take over your life, such as drugs or drinking. While you will probably try and even begin to use them during your high school career, don't let them control you, because I've seen people completely ruin their lives with the stuff.

Aside from that, just have fun. While I think that ProductofChina's advice was good, if you focus on just that, you won't have a good experience. High school makes you who you are, and it will easily be one of the best times of your life. Hell, I've been out of it for 3 months and I'm already lamenting the mistakes I've made. However, I'm also cherishing the memories I have of it, and I always will. So will you, once you look back on it all.

Just don't F&#$ up...

anonymousdude

Distinguished
I think the most important thing you can do is experience high school for all it is. Don't be one of those kids that spend all their time worrying about grades. Good grades will come as long as you do the work. Go to events that your school holds. Homecoming, football games and other sports, winter formal that's what we call it cause its just a Sadie Hawkins dance, prom when you get there, and so on. You get one chance to go through high school so make the most of it.

hiddengamer775

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I'm a Junior in High School at the moment, so I have the experience everyday. The first day of school you will be nervous, especially if you have a large school. However if you get to your classes on time, find a good group of friends, and figure out the basics, it couldn't be easier. The tough part is if you have A, B, or C days, which some schools do have. Just focus on getting your homework done on time, and not so much focus on video games. People in this thread have been talking about career choices and scholarships. In my opinion the best way to find out if you like a job is to go to a vocational/tech school in your junior or senior year. This will make it so if you don't like it you wouldn't have wasted thousands finding out in college. Just stay calm and you'll make it through. And most importantly have a good time.

I concur with everyone else. In short, stay on track with your grades, but at the same time, have fun by meeting new people, hanging out with them outside of school, and joining up in some extra curricular activities. You'll find your niche eventually, so don't get discouraged if everything doesn't go according to plan at first.

Don't waste your time with high school girls. After meeting their parents' expectations of them (and sometimes not that), the most important thing to a high school girl is her social standing. The fact that you are here suggests you may be a nerd or geek. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it may do nothing to make a high school girl think her popularity will be improved by having anything to do with you. This means any time, money, or effort you spend on catching one will be, at best, an utter waste, and at worst it will make you miserable.

anonymousdude

Distinguished

Sad, but true. Realize that the girls you meet in high school aren't going to be your soul mate. There are exceptions, but it's generally true. Social standing is nothing more than what the times considers cool or popular. Don't worry about it too much as many of the "cool" kids are total idiots or are potheads. That's from my experience so feel free to disagree with me. The parents expectations are a total pain. Some are just downright crazy as to what they expect from you, while some are more lenient and nicer about it. Basically unless you knew the girls parents before you start dating as in she was already a friend of your for a long time you're in for some awkward moments with her parents. Trust me when I say don't take the relationships you have in high school too seriously as they won't last for more than a couple of months. Anyways I think jtt283's advice is valid for 99% of the girls in high school. I just am lucky enough to be close friends with the girls who aren't worried about social standing and don't have crazy parental expectations. Also avoid cheerleaders as in my experience they are words that are not appropriate on this forum if you catch my drift.

Oh, there are exceptions; my brother and his wife of 25+ years met in High School. Only the youngest of his three girls really seems to know what she wants, AND that there is a path to get there, AND how to stay on it.