Hijacking the network at Work

simonj4599

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I work for a company which does not have wireless in its offices. I would like to hook up a wireless router so I can get internet on my phone without running up AT&T data charges.
I took a wireless router from home and plugged in an Ethernet cable from one of the computers. At home this works great, But at work I’m not getting wireless internet possibly because I have to use an employee number to log into the system. Has anyone else had this type of problem? Is there a work around or way to get wireless working?

Thank s for any help.

Solution
Depends on how they implemented things and how exactly they are blocking you. If they really want to keep you out they are using 802.1x on the wired ports. This means you must authenticate to even open the lan jack. This is designed to prevent exactly what you are trying to do. This is impossible to defeat since no router has the software to be what is called a supplicant. The strange thing is you phone likely does contain the software but can only use 802.1x when access a wireless network.

Now they maybe using something much simpler but still it is unlikely you can get the router to support it.
Depends on how they implemented things and how exactly they are blocking you. If they really want to keep you out they are using 802.1x on the wired ports. This means you must authenticate to even open the lan jack. This is designed to prevent exactly what you are trying to do. This is impossible to defeat since no router has the software to be what is called a supplicant. The strange thing is you phone likely does contain the software but can only use 802.1x when access a wireless network.

Now they maybe using something much simpler but still it is unlikely you can get the router to support it.

Solution
Im not saying... but suggest you talk to your work IT people.
If it does not work - there are LOADS of things that could be stopping you (things companies use that don't get used in home).
If it does not work.. it probably because they don't want you to do it. And if you want to ask here rather than them... I suspect you know you should not be doing it either...
So im not going to help
(I work in IT in a large company and have seen first hand the trouble that can be caused by people who think they know).

HTH
Cheers

chuckchurch

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
Unless it's worth risking your job, I wouldn't do it. There are lots of ways for IT to detect your non-company-issued device, even if you change the MAC address of the router, etc. A simple wireless IDS would detect what you're doing as well.