History of Intel Chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardvday

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017
Page 8 Business Pentium ChipsetsPicture 8 of 29
With the Pentium's introduction, Intel began segmenting its products to a greater degree than it had done previously. In total, the company created seven chipsets for the Penitum

almarcy

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I attended an Intel training session that introduced the 8008 and 8080. Their Field Training Engineer told our class that Intel's research had found that every 10 degrees Fahrenheit (!?) the ambient temperature was reduced doubled the useful life of the chip. Some things have changed. Not all. I never imagined 32 threads on sixteen cpus on one chip. No imagination, then ;) AMD, now.

stdragon

Admirable
Some of you may remember the odd COAST (Cache On A STick) modules. But there was a stranger one yet. It was for the iGPU built-in to MBs with the Pentium 3 i815 chipset. There as an actual memory module that slotted in the AGP slot. It was known as a "Display Cache Module" or "AGP Inline Memory Module (AIMM)". I used one back when I had an AOpen AX3S Pro. See the link below for more info on this odd piece of hardware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGP_Inline_Memory_Module

pensive69

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
high5! I started my foray into computer building with the 8088s. Guess that makes me a dinosaur also.
the real issue is that i still have all these darn chips in the old parts bins.
:)

Jul 30, 2018
Back in the days of the old Pentium processors, and for a time after, Intel was not the exclusive producer of chip sets for their processors. Time has faded my memory considerably, but back in the early days, Intel chipsets were not the ones to have for best performance. Companies like Via, AMD, and Nvidia made north bridge chipsets for Intel processors that seemed to have a performance advantage over the Intel chips. Any chance of seeing an article on that? I was in the military and deployed during the time these manufacturers stopped producing chips for Intel processors but I remember something about a suit filed by Intel which is why Intel is now the ONLY manufacturer of chipsets for their processors..?

Thanks for bringing back the memories! Great article!

Status
Not open for further replies.