Hitachi 3TB (second) Hard Drive Not initialized Anymore

breakinog

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
Today my computer restarted and when it turned back on I wasn't able to access my second internal hard drive. I went on disk management and got a message saying I need to initialize disk to access the hard drive (https://i.imgur.com/IFSSu80.png). I tried using different ports for the hard drive and different wires but nothing is working.

My question is there any way to fix the hard drive without initializing it. Also, if I was to initialize it and run a recovery program for my files but the recovery program didn't work, am I still able to send it off to a professional to recover my files or would I have to do that before initializing the hard drive?

Thanks

try the drive in another pc or on another power plug make sure it not a power issue. if your drive was spiked and the drive controller is damaged if you init the drive your data may be lost. the first rule if oyu need the data on a drive is not to run any recovey. the more you fool with a damaged drive the harder and more costly it is for you.

EP000001

Reputable
May 10, 2016
Sounds like it could possibly be a corrupt partition table, boot block etc... and the drive is showing up as not even being formatted.

Some viruses/worms do damage like that. Also a corrupted windows session due to many possible factors could cause erroneous data writes to the drive's crucial data pointer areas. I have had PC's that I own go haywire just due to lack of sufficient memory corrupting vital data on HDD's.

You may consider running reliable data diag/recovery tools just to see if the drive and it's data can be accessed. You may then possibly run a partition repair on the drive. Most likely the data is still there.

There are 2 good software programs that are free to use out there that may assist.

EaseUS Partition Master

and

EaseUS Data recovery Wizard.

The software used to be free however, you will need to check. I think at least you get a trial period.

breakinog

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
Thanks for the reply but when I open any programs like testdisk, gsmartcontrol and EaseUS the hard drive doesnt come up ever, so do I have to initialize the disk first before doing this? Sorry if this is a dumb question I am a noob at all of this.

EP000001

Reputable
May 10, 2016

No problem, does not sound like a dumb question.

sounds strange EaseUS should do it.

Goto EaseUS website and follow these instructions at the link below...

https://www.easeus.com/resource/retrieving-data-from-disk-unknown-not-initialized.html