Hitachi External HDD Not Recognised in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hispanoman

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
I recently upgraded my desktop from Windows XP Pro to Windows 10 Pro and can no longer access my 2TB Hitachi Touro Desk Pro external HDD.

The drive does not appear at all in File Explorer but it is correctly identified in Devices and Printers. It also appears in Disk Management but is listed as “unknown” and “not initialised”. I get an I/O device error if try to initialise it and am unable to resolve the issue by assigning it a drive letter all the while the system thinks the drive is not initialised

I have tried plugging the external HDD into different USB ports (both 2.0 and 3.0) and re-installing the "USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device" driver in Device Manager but all to no avail.

I know the external HDD works fine as it is recognised and readable on a different Windows 7 machine.

The issue appears to be specific to my Hitachi HDD as I also own two WD external HDDs; one 250MB and the other 1TB; and both of these work in Windows 10. I have tried contacting Hitachi technical support for help but their rather uninspired, generic response has got me no nearer a solution

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get Windows 10 to recognise my Hitachi HDD?

Ali_29

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015

Hispanoman

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
Hi D_Know_WD,

I’ve tried updating the USB driver but my system says it is up to date. I’ve also reinstalled it just to make certain but this hasn’t resolved the problem. Neither has uninstalling the Hitachi HDD from Device Manager. Surely the USB driver must be ok if I can get two other WD external HDDs to work on the same machine?

Hispanoman

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
Hi D_Know_WD,

I tried Hitachi Technical Support before coming to this forum. All they said was that "the Hitachi Touro Pro has not been tested for Windows 10 and is potentially incompatible with this OS" and then trotted out the same generic troubleshooting advice shown on the Microsoft website. I was not impressed!

Hispanoman

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
The Hitachi external HDD has developed a fault

I’ve managed to get hold of a Hitachi 2TB Touro Desk DX3 external HDD which is similar to mine only with a slower rpm and that works absolutely fine in Windows 10. It would therefore appear that my HDD has developed a fault and the problem is not the OS after all. Time to buy a new one! My thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.