Hitachi Ships 3 Drives, 3 TB Each

Status
Not open for further replies.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
No mention of platter count? Reason I ask is whether Hitachi is first (1TB race) or catching up they often pack their first offerings of max capacity with about five platters @ 7200RPM. I will say the positive aspect of them joining the 3TB crowd is they put on pressure resulting in competitive pricing. No come on Samsung.

Good point with platter count. Maximizing areal density with fewer platters results in a faster drive--but more importantly with a 3TB drive, fewer platters reduces chance of failure. Think if each platter has a 5% failure rate, your chance of failure increases dramatically with each additional platter. I too am waiting to see what Samsung brings to the table.

bhtechmech

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
nice but i'll stick to RAID and waiting for SSD to get bigger. Too long to recover when they fail and defrag when there that bigg.

G

The people writing these articles are absolutely horrible at details, spelling, grammar and punctuation. Unbelievable!

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
[citation][nom]bhtechmech[/nom]nice but i'll stick to RAID and waiting for SSD to get bigger. Too long to recover when they fail and defrag when there that bigg.[/citation]

Hmm. Based on my usage patterns, what mostly needs defragmenting is the system drive alone.

My system partitions are always limited to below 100 GB and so, defragging takes little time. True, I've been using striping for my main PC builds since 2004, which helps a bit and also, I forgo using a page file altogether. When I had less memory, I used a fixed size page file, to avoid unnecessary fragmentation.

All my games go to D:\Games and based on what I've seen, they never fragment. As for torrenting, having a cache of at least 256 MB set in your client goes a long way to preventing fragmentation. Besides, if you're so worried, you can provide a separate partition or even a drive for that purpose.

Which leaves mostly media files to be stored on a 3 TB drive. Now don't tell me these cause fragmentation, cause I don't buy it. Besides, even huge partitions containing media files are easily defragged, due to the files being large and cohesive.

My next build will most certainly include at least an SSD for the system drive and I will probably keep my mechanical Samsung F1s in Raid 0 for whatever else (read video editing).

My home server, however, would most definitely benefit from using 3 TB drives in a new array :)

I'm still stuck on how awesome Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's are. I have 3, short stroked in RAID 0 for a 300GB system drive (RAID 5 on the rest) and I get 425MB/s across the entire drive in HD Tach and over 2GB/s burst. But 3TB drives should be quite a bit faster than this. I might have to RAID a couple when the prices drop.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]3TB is a lot of data to be trusting to a Hitachi drive.... >_>[/citation]

At least it isn't a Seagate =3=

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]At least it isn't a Seagate =3=[/citation]
Seagate makes mostly reliable drives, there are just a couple of models in the past few years that should be avoided like the plague. As long as you do your research, you can avoid lemons from any manufacturer.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Consumers who have 32- or 64-bit Apple Mac OS X or Linux systems can enjoy the drive as a data drive or a boot drive right out of the box--no software download is required.

lol. Nice. But it's about time they get them out. I've been holding off on the 3TBs! :D

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Little time to wait to buy the 1Tb or 2Tb, their are much cheaper now for sure. I like to ask if endurance/reliability test with this 3Tb drives be done here in tomshardware. Bigger drives has bigger storage (of course) but when they fail it becomes much bigger problems too.

Status
Not open for further replies.