HKMG overated?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Ill end this now, and say this, its NOT about AMD, so AMD fans, dont expect me to jump on any bandwagons. Its NOT about Shanghai, or how it performs in IPC. Its NOT about TSMC, which is the FASTEST changing in process nodes, and came from 130 when Intel was on 65nm , to 40nm, which Intel hasnt and cant currently do. Its not about Theo, I dont care where info comes from, what he wrote aligns with what EETimes had written as well.

I agree SS, my points been made, ands sorry for carrying on. Its been exposed, and THAT was the point

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

Here's a link to Anandtech's review which shows that the new 2.7GHz Opteron to draw substantially less power than even a 2.3Ghz Barcelona. http://it.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3456&p=1

Anandtech found that the Shanghai chip had a performance/watt ranging from 10% - 37% higher than Barcelona across all of the benchmarks used. This is actually pretty impressive.

Furthermore, if you read further along in the thread you linked to you will find out that the person who posted that chart scaled the power consumption linearly, which will not give correct results.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Correct. Good observation, but it was already pretty impressive in the chart. However, the raw performance numbers are what they should be [and they don't give a single reason to expect Deneb to beat Yorkfield in the desktop or any miracles, which was the main point of my post].

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

HKMG isn't overrated, it's a good technology. This thread really wasn't started to debate whether HKMG was overrated or not, but rather to take some shots at a few of the more vocal Intel fanboys who were predicting that AMD's 45nm efforts would be a disaster several months ago. Naturally said fanboys are now denying having ever said anything of the sort since they are faced with the fact that 45nm processors are in fact possible without using HKMG. This was never really anything more than another one of the countless flame threads.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Its NOT about TSMC, which is the FASTEST changing in process nodes, and came from 130 when Intel was on 65nm , to 40nm, which Intel hasnt and cant currently do. Its not about Theo, I dont care where info comes from, what he wrote aligns with what EETimes had written as well.
JD, Theo's article is full of errors which then trickle down to what you write. There are way better sources to express the basic plan that TSMC isn't using HKMG till <32nm, and in selecting good sources, you may come to a better understanding of why that has to be.

TSMC has a cheap process at 40nm. It doesn't perform well enough for any mainstream DT/server CPU. Intel also has its own cheap processes - its flash is at 34nm at the moment, probably used in its X25-M flash device. Nothing supports the notion that TSMC jumped ahead of Intel process-wise, as Theo's title indicates, or that Intel is ahead of TSMC, as raw sizes indicate, because Intel does not build the same products as TSMC, so its flash process does not need to be qualified for a broad range of products.

The earlier TSMC uses HKMG, the better its products. See, TSMC could delay HKMG indefinitely, lowering product frequencies as needed where conventional silicon fails to scale. Or it could throw money at HKMG right away. However, HKMG is an investment that does nothing if the work orders are not there. The timing of this investment is only a general indication of how much value they place on a better performing process. TSMC is a bulk foundry, and the bulk of revenue these days is in cheap parts, not high-performing, low-volume ones.

The latter part of Theo's article goes into a GPU discussion where he appears completely blind to the fact that without a breakthrough in chip packaging technology or off-die memory controller design, a small GPU die is also a lower bandwidth die.

I will say this. I thought it ould have a hard time due to the fact that silicon is reaching its limits. Its obvious. I can't say for sure it will fail. Hell we haven't truly seen a chip in real action under high load situations yet. Once we do then we may be able to get a clear picture. Till then we will only hear about the benefits

Remember, with Phenom we only heard the good up till the day of release. Thats when we got the real story. Same with Core i7. Although with Core i7 there are certain scenarios where it does exactally what it was said to do. But those are not as common as a normal person like you and me.

But here is what I want to know. JD made this post, obviously thinking HK/MG might not be all that. Then he made another post about HK/MG making AMDs chips superior. So.... my question is why is it not a big deal with Intel yet for AMD it is? I mean why make two contradicting threads? It doesn't really make any sense to me.

Im going on the understanding that HKMG would have a profound effect on gpus, as theyre THE most power hungry and hottest components in your PC. I was reading about Intel using its HKMG in small processes for low powered devices as well, and as we know TSMC moves in this market as well. What Im saying is, the crossovers between Intel and TSMC exists in a few areas, and it appears Intel already begun the use os HKMG is these areas, where itd benefit TSMC as well, and then like Ive said, the gpu arena would benefit hugely by it,

I agree with you on one point tho. It comes down to necessity. Not because HKMG is so great tho, but because the need isnt as great as the lowering of the process is in TSMCs eyes, and their customers, thus HKMG is somewhat overrated, and certainly is as was portrayed previouly here as to its needs at smaller nodes, and even posssibly its overall benefits vs costs, which all has to be taken into consideration in overall evaluation of its use, and usefulness

Taken from here http://www.tsmc.com/download/english/a05_literature/1_Corporate_Overview_Brochure_2007.pdf

Technology Leadership
TSMC has the broadest range of technologies and services in the industry. The proven path to success embodies a platform
strategy that bundles together process technology options and services. TSMC collaborates with partners to ensure that
all services supporting those technologies represent the best practices in the industry. To that end, TSMC and its partners
deliver the largest portfolio of process-proven IP and libraries, and the industry's most advanced design ecosystem.
TSMC's platform strategy stretches across both advanced and mainstream technologies.
Advanced technology platforms include a wireless SoC platform, a consumer technology platform, and a PC and network
technology platform.
Mainstream technology platforms cover specific applications including power IC, display driver IC, CMOS image sensor,
microcontroller, and RFID.

Ive seen Intels use of HKMG for its SoC packages in process, and plans for TSMCs usage of it as well, but currently, using a smaller process than Intel does, and going into production with it, TSMC isnt using it ...yet

What youve failed to mention about Theo was, he was 100% right on when he said AMD was collaborating with oceers on Deneb, before this all happened, and again, he was ridiculed for it, but was right on the mark. Now, if Id posted his reverse HT crap, and stood by that, yes, include me in with his foolishness, but if you weed out the truth and balogna, and sometimes downright crap, you can use it as a gage for a larger picture, which IS what I did here

I guess if you include only failings and never include success, you get a distorted view of whats going on, and either way, its those that do this that suffer for it, becoming more single purposed, and more closed minded. As many here were wrong in their assessment about HKMG, and its effects on the 45nm node, or lack of it, and the predictions of what would occur without it, those same people have helped others, have brought alot of new info, and taught alot of us many things, so I commend those people for that, but at the same time, just like me or anyone else, they can be wrong, and paint an overall impression, one thats way off the mark, if no one is independent in their thoughts, and just pile on, damaging the overall image of anyone or anything that lacks in their claims, without the higher understanding it requires to independently learn on their own, and see a bigger picture

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Im going on the understanding that HKMG would have a profound effect on gpus, as theyre THE most power hungry and hottest components in your PC
On the flip side, people who invest in discrete GPUs, which have egregious power consumption, are generally much less concerned with power usage than the general group purchasing computers, all of which contain CPUs. Specifically, some of those purchasing server CPUs are entirely focused on performance per watt.

There are many other ways to reduce power consumption - i7 powers down entire cores and the GTX 200 series severely downclocks when idle. Using multiple dies also spreads out the heat and allows you to dissipate more energy with the same form-factor cooling.

Based on TSMC's slow introduction of HKMG, I don't think they feel that HKMG is particularly important to GPUs.

What youve failed to mention about Theo was, he was 100% right on when he said AMD was collaborating with oceers on Deneb
He may be right once, and wrong how many times? Journalistic integrity is measured by the rate of erroneous reporting. Someone who commits so many mistakes like Theo cannot be trusted on anything, cannot be used to substantiate another rumor or guess no matter how close to being right. Remember that if you have absolutely no clue on something, a yes or no guess is statistically spot on 50% of the time.

As many here were wrong in their assessment about HKMG, and its effects on the 45nm node
Many here were, huh? How many of us are semiconductor experts. Many times past, the experts claimed semiconductor scaling should have stopped long ago. Progress appeared to stagnate a little bit, then over time, each and every obstacle got broken, and everyone in the industry eventually moved forward. Looking into the history books, the only currency is time. Having an exclusive lead on a technology pays off high dividends, but the value of such a lead always depreciates.

Let's not harp on the mistake, but observe how vain it is in this industry to predict the future in detail.

If youve spent time in the gpu section, youd know, even here in the cpu section, people are always wondering about power. Is it enough> Will this psu work with gpu A? Will this psu work with gpu B? Hundreds of posts. And then theres heat of course. How many thousands of threads concerning gpus and their running temps? Alot more than cpus, even with faulty sensors heheh.

As for Theo,I was ridiculed for bringing him in, and my other link was totally ignored, and I presented them together. I brought him in cause he IS right this time, and I knew it. So, whats the point here? Never to use him> Even when hes right? All the while, my other link confirmed the info too? Y

Yes, they were vain, and deceived a few people, as they actually believed the hype machine that was thrumming along. You get the point, and they acted the experts. Its all Im saying, they were wrong, want to change it now of course, but Ill say this. Even experts are wrong sometimes, and thats giving credit, whether its due or not, thats up to all of us

PS Ill just remind you, both top cards from nVidia and ATI are skirting the TDP high limit currently, and nVidia cant compete at top end because of this issue, so, if you think it doesnt matter to TSMCs customers, .......

semicondr

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for quoting and linking to the article. It was a bit controversial, but nothing like this forum discussion! I hope to cover more HKMG processes as they appear. You might want to check out some of my blog posts about HKMG, Intel, AMD, IBM, TSMC and all sorts of other ramblings about chips at my "SemiSerious" blog:
www.semiconductorblog.com