Hobbyist Demonstrates Amazon Key Vulnerability

Status
Not open for further replies.
It feels like they do it on purpose. We know that everything connected to internet is vulnerable one way or another, yet they continue to develop devices and software that makes things even worse.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I am not sure what's worse.

The fact that some stranger getting paid minimum wage quite likely has not much to lose opening the door to your home for a delivery,

or

Trusting the security of your home to an Internet-connected lock.

I guess they are both stupid. And with Amazon key, you get 2 stupid ideas for the price of one.

Heck, people seem to be less trustworthy than ever! You want to trust your home key to a delivery person?!?

lsatenstein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
What would be better than the door lock is the door latch. The door latch is a device that many who live on the second of a two story dwelling. They press a button to release the spring latch. Once the button is released, the latch is reset. This could be done with the Amazon product if the latch had a 5 second timeout. The deliverer could push open the door, put the package inside and exit.

For the single family dwelling, an automatic timeout feature to activate the lock could be put in place. In Delivery mode, no lock could remain unlocked for 7 seconds.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Man that is the least of your worries if you've got one of the alphabet agencies breathing down your neck. LMAO...

While you're at it just get a Mr. Handy, he can receive your packages and zap unauthorized personnel!

Godloki

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
It's not like it's super hard to pick a physical lock either... If an expert wants to break in to your house they're going to.

Lostinlodos

Distinguished
May 26, 2015
Godloki has it.
Locking your door is the home equivalent of TSA, minus the groping.
It will stop a petty crook but any well informed individual including bad doers can bypass the security in seconds.

I still lock my door though.

Status
Not open for further replies.