Hold Windows 7 Party, Get Free Windows 7 Ult.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Say what you want, I would have participated enthusiastically...

BUT one of the last pages in the sign-up (the legal stuff) basically says that they can do whatever they want with your "Personal Attributes" (voice traits, image, statements) and the same for any minors under your care and any participants in the party.

The last item in a long list mentioned "or other personal information", and I'm not a lawyer so I can't be 100% sure if the limits on this "license" they wanted me to grant them (which it explicitly states never expires) made it only related to the party or not.

From what I could tell...if they wanted to, they could post your address and phone number in a commercial and tell the world to contact you and tell you how great Windows is, and you couldn't do anything.

Its not like they'd do that, or that I even suspect they intend to abuse the information. I just don't think its wise to consent to an overly broad statement that MS Inc, and HouseParty, Inc. can practically own your soul so you can save a few hundred bucks on Windows.

Its too bad cause if it hadn't been so vague in its "we own you"-ness I think it might have been cool to sign up and see what happened

muharizj

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I think Steve Balmer needs to hire an image consultant and relate to him what acceptable levels of enthusiasm is :p - no amount of money can ever cure the retard in him.

G

When you sign up for this they get commercial rights to you and your children's appearance and attributes. That means any photos now and forever of you or your children belong to them.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
We already knew the bitch was crazy, but wow...

And Windows 7 Signature Edition, what's the difference? Some idiot in a office signed a Win7 Ulti box?

G

there's a good comic about Windows 7 parties at themuterobot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.