Hollenshead: id Tech 5 Will Not Be Licensed

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
hmm are they tryign to hide something here ??? i wonder ,because doom 3's engine was heavily criticized for not handling exteriors well (ie frames dropped drastically in exteriors and they generally didnt look good in teh engine).

hoenstly i think clossing out all chance of licensing this engine is a bone head move, as graphic power increased and dev times rise many more developers willstart lookign at licensing engines to cut back production cost and times, any one with a decent engine , will stand to make butt loads of money in the years to come,certainly more than what ID's mediocre FPSers will make alone.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
but then again, do gamers actually CARE what game engine a particular game was made on?

yeah it's exciting as far as technology is concerned but that's FAR down the list, at least for me, what kind of software was used...

hell...I still have fun with L4D and L4D2 and those use Source engine that's 6 years old...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Just corporate pressure from a company that doesn't understand how things work (ZeniMax). Look at Atari, Activision, Vivendi, EA, Microsoft, etc.. etc.. They see these smaller companies with great IP and buy them up, then they completely try to change the way those companies work and end up destroying the IP in the process.

This happens in all forms of business. Some small company, doing their own thing, becomes moderately successful. A much larger company, wanting to expand that success, buys the smaller company out then tries to incorporate the smaller company into their business management philosophy. The smaller company is suffocated and eventually dies. The larger company writes off the loss and moves on.

I guess from the iD Tech engine perspective, if it wasn't a money maker, don't bother supporting it. At the same time, how much did it cost iD to support these licenses? Seems to me if you already have the engine, it costs nothing to license it. Like icepick said, gamers don't care what engine the game uses as long as the game is fun. Is ZeniMax really that afraid that other companies might use Tech 5 to create superior games to Rage and Doom 4 that they would lose money in reduced game sales as a result? Seems pretty far fetched to me.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]but then again, do gamers actually CARE what game engine a particular game was made on?yeah it's exciting as far as technology is concerned but that's FAR down the list, at least for me, what kind of software was used...hell...I still have fun with L4D and L4D2 and those use Source engine that's 6 years old...[/citation]

The Source engine is getting new upgrades with every game released, you should check out the commentary mode for their games, especially the Half Life 2 episodes.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
If i were a game developer looking for a game engine to build on, I would probably be disappointed by this, but as a gamer, not so much. It is id's tech that they have been developing for years. They can do with it what they want.

Besides, as long as I get some more Quake and Doom, I'll be a happy gamer.

G

BYE BYE Id Been nice knowing you! Just remember between big incomes from your own software those license fee's help keep the income stable and stock holders happy. So here's where we say. So long.. I ain't waiting to see the ship sink all the way. I see the torpedo I get going. BYE!

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Wheat_Thins[/nom]Just stop flapping the mouth and get the new Elder Scrolls game rolling out.[/citation]
Amen. (as long as they don't rush it and produce crap)

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Unreal Engine as middleware kind of sucks today. Big in 2004, but they failed to make their engine better and got too greedy in pricing.

Good move by ZeniMax. Pretty much everyone and their cousin wants to touch the engine tools for Id Tech 5. They also bought up most of the smaller developers who tend to use Id Tech.

G

I agree Crytek needs to teach ID a thing or two about game engines that function properly and 21st century level design that doesn't bore you to death. Doom 3 was a down right rip off and Quake Wars was just awful with its lame "mega textures" that were supposed to ooo and ahhh us... I hope this new game is good, but I'm not holding my breath. They need to seriously stop with their game engine techno babble-speak that tries to bamboozle and cover up a lurking turd of a game... Just release a good game for once, ok?

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Truth be told, only a handful of developers actually used an id Tech engine--Raven Software, Ritual Entertainment, Ion Storm, Valve Software, Gray Matter Interactive, Rogue Entertainment, Splash Damage and a few others. The list is miniscule

WHAT? you forget infinity ward, and the cod series uses heavily modified id tech!

im sorry kevin, your articles is really getting on my nerves lately. You make bold statements, but forget to list sources. if you can be a better journalist, be it. this is meant as positive criticism.

and you've got valve's half-life series, also heavily modified id tech. games licensed from id tech(in the past) have become huge franchises, so calling them miniscule is ridiculous, especially when you compare it to epic's unreal. On the top of my head, i can't recall any licensed games from that being any good?!

I do think i know what's gone wrong. You've only looked up id tech 4, and forgot it's past. Are you sure you should be writing gaming related journalism, when you forget such critical aspects?

sorry for the rant, it's not on you personally, but on you journalism!

(just remembered the medal of honor series too!!)

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Mister M[/nom]I agree Crytek needs to teach ID a thing or two about game engines that function properly and 21st century level design that doesn't bore you to death. Doom 3 was a down right rip off and Quake Wars was just awful with its lame "mega textures" that were supposed to ooo and ahhh us... I hope this new game is good, but I'm not holding my breath. They need to seriously stop with their game engine techno babble-speak that tries to bamboozle and cover up a lurking turd of a game... Just release a good game for once, ok?[/citation]

Hi and welcome to the technology enthusiast website tomshardware. Here; most people are technology enthusiasts. We especially like current and upcoming technology. If an engine comes with said new technology; we tend to get excited.

I'm sorry you didn't like doom 3. I for one; really enjoyed it. It spooked the crap out of me because I played it in an environment consistent with the game's. Perhaps if you weren't listening to the spice girls while playing the game; you would have found it more immersive.

I have taken the liberty of downrating you; not because I disagree with your taste in gaming, but because of the general obnoxiousness of your comment. Perhaps you should get more education on the subject: ID arguably invented the FPS genre. Perfected it time and time again, and to this day keeps contributing to the development of all games in general.

You sir have been spoiled by the merits of many great game designers; please don't try to take away the merits of my beloved ID games.

Status
Not open for further replies.