Question Home Media Server: MiniPC, NAS or DAS and other questions

FullMetalAlchemist

Honorable
Mar 25, 2019
Hi All,

I will soon move to my new house; therefore I am planning to finally upgrade my personal mediaserver once for all.

Current Setup:
My PC (Plex Media Server) + External SSD (used for storage, i don't have a big library at the moment)
TV (Living Room) (as View device)
TV (Badroom) (as View device)

All 3 devices are connected to the same network via ethernet cables.

Planned Future Setup for the new house:
MiniPC, DAS or NAS? (Storage to expand overtime with additional HDD)
Personal PC (as View device)
TV (Living Room) (as View device)
TV (Badroom) (as View device)

All devices will be connected to the same network via either ethernet cables or wifi.

looking for a system that:
  • is easy to set up
  • easy to expand with additional HDD storage in future (plug and play)
  • is neat and clean, not many visible cable and hdd enclosed in a nice box, so that could function as a room decoration in case i don't want to hide it.
  • I will mostly use the media server just at home, but it would be great to watch things when travelling or also share access with my parents.
What i am still not sure is if I buy a NAS (like synology) do i also need to buy a miniPC to run the plex media server?

Is this setup correct for example?

Router >ethernet cable> NAS (plex media server and media storage) >ethernet cable/wifi> TVs/PC/etc..

USAFRet

Titan
What i am still not sure is if I buy a NAS (like synology) do i also need to buy a miniPC to run the plex media server?
Synology and QNAP have an included Plex server software.

The main thing you'd have to consider is how to hook the NAS to the TV.

Me, I have a mini HTPC in addition to the NAS.
Plex doesn't work for me, due to the file type limitations. And using the HTPC to access other services, like Amazon Prime and Netflix..

FullMetalAlchemist

Honorable
Mar 25, 2019
Synology and QNAP have an included Plex server software.

The main thing you'd have to consider is how to hook the NAS to the TV.

Me, I have a mini HTPC in addition to the NAS.
Plex doesn't work for me, due to the file type limitations. And using the HTPC to access other services, like Amazon Prime and Netflix..
i have hisense tv tha have the plex media player app installed. isn't that enough?