[SOLVED] Home network--adding a 2nd modem

Oct 19, 2020
Hello,

We have internet and landline phone service with our ISP. They allow me to "use my own modem" for internet, but since their phone service requires the use of their Embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter (EMTA), which is currently provisioned to provide internet service as well (it looks like a modem to me!), it must still be used for us to continue to get their phone service.

I wish to install my own modem for the internet connection while leaving their EMTA in place for the phone. The reason for doing this is that I'll save the monthly charge by using my own modem for the internet connection as they don't charge a fee for the use of the phone side of their EMTA (modem).

I assume I'll need a splitter (or two?) in order to set this up properly, but based on my current configuration I'm not positive where to put it. Attached is a diagram showing how the ISP service tech originally set everything up. I think I should install a splitter on the "cable out" side of the MoCA adapter, and then connect my new modem and the EMTA to it. I would then disconnect the AVAYA and EERO ethernet cables from the EMTA and reconnect them to the new modem, leaving the landline RJ11 cable as the only connection from the EMTA.

WAVE-setup-2.jpg

Does this make sense, or is there a better configuration I'm not aware of?

Solution
I think you should be able to put a splitter after the out on the moca adapter as you basically are going to run 2s modems with one service phone and the other serving the network.
Oct 19, 2020
@ rdg1101--
There is a phone modem. In the upper right section of the diagram it is shown as the "WAVE modem (EMTA)". The ISP says I need to use it for the phone, but I can ALSO install my own modem for internet only. I need to know where in this setup to install a coax splitter so that I can do what I'm suggesting in my OP.