Question Home Network Suggestions

Sep 10, 2019
Hello all

I recently moved into a larger home and feel a little over my head regarding how to setup my network. I have always lived in a smaller home (1300sq. ft or less), so a single wireless modem/router was plenty with no dead spots. My new home is 2500sq. ft and has 3 floors, if you include the basement.

The previous owner has a wall mounted server rack in the basement on the wall with a RG6 cable in it coming from outside. He also has a row of Ethernet ports in there for what he appeared to use for a home network and security system. He has Ethernet cables ran from this box to several places outside the home for cameras and 2 that run through the house for wireless access points. I only know this because he conveniently left a hole in the ceiling on the main floor and on on the second where his access points were installed.

I use Comcast as they are the only provider available in our area (small town in SWMI). With the modem/router hooked up in the box in the basement, I get about 60 mbps and on the second floor I get less than 50 mbps. I pay for 250 mbps with my current subscription and have the XB6-T router/modem. We have 3 laptops, a minimum of 4 phones, xbox, ps4, 3 smart TV's and a gaming pc that are online at any given time.

My question is what type of wireless access points would you recommend based on the info provided? I was reading up on mesh, but cannot seem to find an affordable, definitive answer. My current budget is roughly $150.

Sep 10, 2019
Very good luck for you the place is already wired.

50/60 WIFI speed for a 250 service is low, are the access points latest 801.11ac?

I was doing a little more research while at work and found these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0781YXFBT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

to pair with this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754P9KLN?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_img

It's over my budget a little, but I think these will more than do the trick. The PoE+ switch should be enough to power the 2 APs noted above and give me room for some POE security cameras outside I can add at a later time. He already has 3 ethernet cables ran out there as well.

Thoughts?