Question Home project need help

jgamito

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hi guys, dunno if im on the correct sub but here it goes,

I'm currently renovating my house and I was thinking about connecting my PC throughout my home.

My project is the following:

Having my computer in my 1st floor office i wanted to be able to connect it to my living room on the ground floor and having a bluetooth keyboard to control it there. I thought about running a thunderbolt cable trough the wall and getting a thunderbolt hub to connect all the peripherals and outputing it to my living room TV.
I dunno if this make sense budgetwise and I wanted to get some more informed opinions before I make my decision.

I'm wondering if over Ethernet this makes more sence and also if it's cheaper... is there any dock with ethernet to usb and hdmi?

Things to have in mind: Being able to use it fully as if my PC was right there, imput lag must be lowest as possible (so streaming it like with an nvidia shield was not my 1st bet).

Anyways, hope I'm making myself clear, cheers y'all

ragnar-gd

Reputable
I hope i get your ideas right:
* You want to use bluetooth to connect to your PC over one floor.
-> VERY much depends on the components. Except for perhaps 2.4 GHz WiFi, everything else wireless does NOT work at my home through walls. Especially NOT Bluetooth. Test this with some components before relying on that.
* HDMI via Ethernet:
-> I only have limited experience with that. Depending on the distance, using HDMI over ethernet (using active adapters, and some serious CAT6 cable), i only got FullHD running at best. Your mileage might vary. There was Lag. Playing fast shooters in tournaments? Maybe rather not.
* Using thunderbolt for peripherals
-> To have the noisy parts in another room, while retaining good speed? Check the specs for thunderbolt about what distance to realize with what cabling and what speed. If using cable anyways, I'd rather use Fiber/Ethernet, but that's because i never used thunderbolt.

Reactions: jgamito

jgamito

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
* Using thunderbolt for peripherals
-> To have the noisy parts in another room, while retaining good speed? Check the specs for thunderbolt about what distance to realize with what cabling and what speed. If using cable anyways, I'd rather use Fiber/Ethernet, but that's because i never used thunderbolt.

Yeah, i guess that's the best way I can explain, I want to keep my pc at my office but still use it while on my living room, outputting image on my TV. Using fiber could I do that? What would I need at the Living room end and on the PC end to make that happen.

Here's an sketch of what I want

ragnar-gd

Reputable
Thunderbolt and its components are the most expensive way of cabling at this time, and using that is determined either by having e.g. a Mac, that really profits from that connection, or by the desire for maximum performance, or already owning expensive components that use TB (e.g. a fast attached storage using TB).
What is your reason to consider thunderbolt?

jgamito

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Thunderbolt and its components are the most expensive way of cabling at this time, and using that is determined either by having e.g. a Mac, that really profits from that connection, or by the desire for maximum performance, or already owning expensive components that use TB (e.g. a fast attached storage using TB).
What is your reason to consider thunderbolt?

Maybe i was misunderstood. I don't have a reason to consider thunderbolt, i just don't know any options other than that, i know thunderbolt have those hubs that can transfer usb + hdmi that is needed to have a keyboard+mouse and tv connection.

I know having long hdmi cables are a no-go and i'm not sure if a 15/20m usb extension is also a good option.

I'm asking for help on how to do this

By the time you get all this working properly you would have spend as much on connections, hardware and wiring as you would have on a full second computer.

Are you trying to setup basically remote gaming setups with a mouse/keyboard/screen that all connect back to a single computer? To how many stations? KVM over eithernet should do it, but they all will have some lag in response.

jgamito

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
By the time you get all this working properly you would have spend as much on connections, hardware and wiring as you would have on a full second computer.

Are you trying to setup basically remote gaming setups with a mouse/keyboard/screen that all connect back to a single computer? To how many stations? KVM over eithernet should do it, but they all will have some lag in response.
Yes that's exactly what i want. To 2 more stations, with lowest latency possible

Edit: Would having a 10m HDMI 2.0 cable into a HDMI splitter and then 2 more 10m hdmi cables going into the other 2 rooms work? Or would it be too much lenght of cable?

Last edited:
Yes that's exactly what i want. To 2 more stations, with lowest latency possible

Edit: Would having a 10m HDMI 2.0 cable into a HDMI splitter and then 2 more 10m hdmi cables going into the other 2 rooms work? Or would it be too much lenght of cable?

You would likely need boosters. And what are you going to do for keyboard/mouse connections? USB is not very good past 10,15 feet.

You can buy

I've seen 50ft HDMI cables. They cost a ton. Not sure about the rest.

I use nvidia moonlight and it's added latency is only 1ms. I've played overwatch with it just fine. Not all keys go to the computer. alt tab for example goes to the shield. Haven't tried voice with it, but you can buy wifi headsets. I'd recommend GTX 1060 or better.