Question Home Server Running Ubuntu Server - Tips for Beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyDumbITGuy

Prominent
Oct 16, 2020
Hey All,

I have decided to convert one of my old PCs into a home server and wanted to take the next step by running a full server OS (Ubuntu Server) as opposed to just flashing a regular desktop OS and using that as a "server" like I have been doing. The idea would be to run a PLEX server, Sonarr instance, Radarr, etc, etc as this device would primarily be used to host and serve media content. I already have a PLEX server running and am familiar with the software, but it is running on an old laptop using Ubuntu desktop with limited disk space. I must admit, however, that jumping into a fully headless Server OS has been a bit challenging as I have been woefully dependent on the GUI in Linux environments. I know my way around the Terminal, but whenever I find myself unable to do something via command line I always just do it via the GUI. So I guess my question is: where do I start?

I'd like to first secure the server as best as possible, make proper configurations, and then move on to building up the media server with the proper instances. Are there any guides out there to help out a newbie? Anywhere that I should start with this?

Thank you for any and all replies.

Your needs would be served with ready-made solution like OpenMediaVault. There are plenty of plugins for Plex etc. Since OMV support docker containters, this should be relatively easy to configure and maintain.

You can also install light-weight desktop GUI like xfce on top of your already-done server install, you won't break anything.

As for securing - as long as your system is not directly exposed to the Internet (that is, you don't forward gazillion ports to it), default setup is pretty secure about that.

One question you did not ask is 'How I do backup my server in case it blows up in ashes"...

PrettyDumbITGuy

Prominent
Oct 16, 2020
Your needs would be served with ready-made solution like OpenMediaVault. There are plenty of plugins for Plex etc. Since OMV support docker containters, this should be relatively easy to configure and maintain.

You can also install light-weight desktop GUI like xfce on top of your already-done server install, you won't break anything.

As for securing - as long as your system is not directly exposed to the Internet (that is, you don't forward gazillion ports to it), default setup is pretty secure about that.

One question you did not ask is 'How I do backup my server in case it blows up in ashes"...

Thank you for bringing up back ups, because that is most certainly something that I would like to configure. Also, this project is to be an outlet for me to learn more about working in a linux server environment and just overall becoming more comfortable with the OS. Challenging as well as serving a purpose (media server). I'll definitely look into OMV as a media serving option, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.