Homemade ide to firewire card?

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I want to take the ide ribbon cable that connects to my motherboard, and
connect the other end to a controller card that will convert it to an open
firewire port. That way, I can plug in any firewire hard drive or cd drive.
This is not for a computer - it's for a standalone digital music recorder
that only supports ide and not firewire. Basically I need a controller card
that does the opposite of what firewire controller cards do -

Does this exist?

> I want to take the ide ribbon cable that connects to my motherboard, and
> connect the other end to a controller card that will convert it to an open
> firewire port. That way, I can plug in any firewire hard drive or cd
drive.
> This is not for a computer - it's for a standalone digital music recorder
> that only supports ide and not firewire. Basically I need a controller
card
> that does the opposite of what firewire controller cards do -
>
> Does this exist?

What if you bought a firewire-capable enclosure such as this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-146-186&depa=0

Then, just rip the thing apart and use the interface in your music recorder.
It may be ugly but it should do the trick.

Joe wrote:

> I want to take the ide ribbon cable that connects to my motherboard, and
> connect the other end to a controller card that will convert it to an open
> firewire port. That way, I can plug in any firewire hard drive or cd drive.
> This is not for a computer - it's for a standalone digital music recorder
> that only supports ide and not firewire. Basically I need a controller card
> that does the opposite of what firewire controller cards do -
>
> Does this exist?

What is the purpose, besides 'using a firewire drive' I mean, and why does
only a firewire drive satisfy it?

For example, I see a SATA to IDE interface. Why would a SATA drive be not
as good? Or, for that matter, an IDE drive that goes natively on the
interface it's got.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have not heard of such a device being available.

--
DaveW

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:23:19 GMT, "Joe" <res04854@gte.net> wrote:

>I want to take the ide ribbon cable that connects to my motherboard, and
>connect the other end to a controller card that will convert it to an open
>firewire port. That way, I can plug in any firewire hard drive or cd drive.
>This is not for a computer - it's for a standalone digital music recorder
>that only supports ide and not firewire. Basically I need a controller card
>that does the opposite of what firewire controller cards do -
>
>Does this exist?

No such thing and an IDE port cannot be wired to a firewire card by a
cable, they are not logically compatible even if you soldered wires to the
card edge. The closest you're likely to get is to use a removeable HDD
enclosure., so you can swap drives that way. Use of a round, twisted pair
80-conductor cable (ATA66/100/133) may allow longer cable, though you'd
possibly still need a power supply plug extension too.