News Horizon Forbidden West PC system requirements revealed — Nvidia touts DLSS 3 support, plus Thaumaturge game-ready driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony didn't mention upscaling of any sort in the system requirements, but Nvidia says the game will have day-one support for DLSS 3. Will it also support FSR 3 and XeSS?

The game Devs have already confirmed before that this game will support all 3 major upscaling tech features from Nvidia, AMD and Intel.

Nixxes recently confirmed support for both DLSS 3 and FSR 3.0 at launch. And yes, the game will also support Intel’s XeSS. In case you guys missed it, the publisher also shared a new "PC features" trailer for it.

And, like all of the Sony games, it will support DirectStorage as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbofnUWolHE&t=81s

hAxUIy3.jpeg

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Hopefully it won't take about 2 years to have a fully working version of the game. At least they cared enough to fix but if avoided as much as possible all the better

By the way, a minimum requirement of 150GB available storage space is downright ridiculous. This is just for the base game along with the included DLC.

Not including any day 1 patch or update. And, the game will obviously receive further patches/hot fixes down the road in the years to come, so this 150 GB storage space sounds silly, as these days most of the AAA games are having draconian storage requirements.

I presume there must be an option to enable high resolution textures in the game as well, means the developer might have crammed the game with higher-resolution game assets than the PlayStation release. Hence the high storage requirement, IMO.

Anyway, be ready to download at least 200+ GB of game data ! :grimacing::imp:

As of now, I have only completed 40% of the ZERO DAWN's storyline, so I'm not in a hurry to jump on this game anytime soon. I have backlog of other games as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: salgado18

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
The specs looks very similar to Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart.
Which makes sense in terms of the PS5 vs PC.

And I agree, the hard disk space is getting out of hand...

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Are the textures like "super-uncompressed" to support DirectStorage or something?

With an install size like that, this game had better look amazing.

Zero Dawn was an amazing game (played it on PC last year) and have had this on my wishlist since it was announced.

I find it interesting that the games designed just for console continue to have lower system requirements, run better and look just as good as the multiplatform titles that don't.
By the way, a minimum requirement of 150GB available storage space is downright ridiculous. This is just for the base game along with the included DLC.
FWIW this isn't much larger than the console version which was already ~130GB. A lot of this comes from AAA studios who hire a ton of artists and make textures for everything rather than efficiently reusing things with different implementations. It's a pretty dumb way to do things, but I'd be surprised if there will be any change as it's the fastest way to do it.

Bluoper

Great
Sep 5, 2023
Probably another badly optimised and lazy console port for the PC, hence the requirements.
These requirements seem pretty reasonable if you ask me, I mean it was designed for (basically) the rx 6700, so 1440p high 60 fps being a bit higher sounds about right. And a minimum gpu that's on par if not weaker than the ps4 pro also sounds about right, and paired with a 4 core 4 thread cpu with max 3.6ghz dosnt seem too hard to match. By far the most appalling part is the storage requirement which is pretty bad but isn't too far from the ps5 version.
Edit: wanted to mention the game both looks and runs like ass on the original ps4.

Last edited:

Not including any day 1 patch or update. And, the game will obviously receive further patches/hot fixes down the road in the years to come, so this 150 GB storage space sounds silly, as these days most of the AAA games are having draconian storage requirements.

I presume there must be an option to enable high resolution textures in the game as well, means the developer might have crammed the game with higher-resolution game assets than the PlayStation release. Hence the high storage requirement, IMO.

Anyway, be ready to download at least 200+ GB of game data ! :grimacing::imp:

As of now, I have only completed 40% of the ZERO DAWN's storyline, so I'm not in a hurry to jump on this game anytime soon. I have backlog of other games as well.
The actual storage requirements might be a bit lower, as oftentimes the specifications listed for games will be rounded up to provide some leeway. And I doubt that any patches would push the size of the game up significantly. This isn't some brand new game that is likely to see major content updates. It's a "complete edition" released on console last fall, of a game that came out a couple years ago with a bundled expansion that is also a year old, so the content should be set, at least as far as art assets are concerned. Any minor PC-specific updates are unlikely to require downloading big game asset files, and as such should be rather small.

And while the sizes of some of these modern games might seem large, it's not really much worse than it's been for PC games in the past. It's possible to buy 2TB SSDs for as little as $100 now, and being a single-player title, you don't need to keep the game installed once you are done playing it. If you don't want to have to redownload the game if you decide to play it again in the future, there's also the option of backing up the files to a platter-based drive, where 150GB only amounts to a few dollars worth of storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.