Question Horrible lags / slow downs with new ryzen system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2019
Hey Guys,

(first post, please move if not in correct sub-forum)

so I made the switch from INTEL to AMD after more than a decade. Results are... mixed. While the system performs well in benchmark and burn-in tests I have horrible lags / slow-downs in day-to-day use. Especially with Firefox. Tabs freeze for 5-10 seconds, my mouse cursor is unresponsive on the desktop etc.

My system is:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
32GB Ram
M2 Samsung 960 evo ssd
GTX 1060

I have no way of reproducing the issues decisively - firefox lags at times, at other times it does not. The more tabs, the more lag. I am even unsure if this is a pure firefox problem (since it is always running...). During the lags CPU usage is below 10% and I do not see any aparent reason for the problems.

Would be great if you guys could help me out :)

Cheers
-DR

Mar 29, 2019
OK, I need mobo make and model. I need ram type and brand and clock speed etc. That's a start. Look at you task manager screen and analyze the back ground processes running. Check the performance graphic in task manager when you have 1 window up from FF. Look at the graphs and utilization readouts. Also if windows 10 you can check to see when apps are loading at startup too. All unused apps should be squelched. Also If using Firefox it has a prelauncher feature like Edge does. These could be slowing down the machine. Get me more model specific details So I can recommend.

Sure :)

MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk - latest BIOS
RAM: Kingston 2x KHX2666C16/16G at CL 16, tRCD/tRP 18, tRAS 39, tRC60, CR1

All utilization readouts from taskmanager show max 5-10 %, hard drives at 0-1%
Autostart Apps are reduced to what's needed.

I have no slow downs while gaming or converting videos. Only with basic desktop-stuff and browsing.

Mar 29, 2019
maybe this is it:
FURY Memory Black // 32GB Kit* (2x16GB) // DDR4 2666MHz CL16 // Part Number: HX426C16FBK2/32.

Start with BIOS. Make sure Xmp 2.0 (Intel) is set on that board. If that MSI Tomahawk does not allow you to set the ram for Xmp 2.0 then manually select the setting 2666Mhz. Also with all ram there are 4 slots on that board. a1/2 b1/2. Sticks should be staggered a1/b1 or a2/b2. Id reseat them, go into bios and set the ram up from about notes. Also I might say them around etc. If these were bought in a twin pack they were from the same batch etc. If single purchased the need to match etc. Flip them around and tweak the ram settings. Also these are rated at 1.2v. Read up about increasing the voltage to 1.3v. May help. I have never fooled with overclocking ram. That board is rated to 3000Mhz capable.

Yes, its 2 x HyperX FURY Black 16GB DDR4 2666MHz 16GB DDR4 2666MHz memory

XMP2.0 i set. Ram is installed in a2/b2. (large heatsink)

I'll try your suggestion with the RAM voltage and get back to you. Thanks!

Mar 29, 2019
I did some additional testing. Ram values are set correctly. Windows Power is set to the optimized AMD profile. Does not matter though if set to high performance or not.

Oddly enough Firefox seems to be running smooth when the Firefox Window is reduced to half of the screen on the left or right and the lags are gone.

Does it make sense that there's a bug of sorts with a huge amount of monitors involved?

I am running :
1x 16:10 1920x1200 (vertical)
1x 16:9 3840x2160
2x 16:9 1920x1080

As soon as I don't run Firefox maximized on the UHD screen everthing seems to be smooth. NVIDIA Drivers are up to date, Issue persists since I've switched to from intel to AMD for a couple of months / driver revision now...

I found a bug report here: https://support.mozilla.org/de/questions/1157360

This is for a linux version but the symptoms are the same.

Mar 29, 2019
SSD is fine, that was my first thought. :)
s1kpn_o.jpg

I was able to improve the situation ALOT by opening about:config in Firefox and then setting these:

layers.acceleration.force-enabled
webgl.force-enabled
media.hardware-video-decoding.force-enabled
browser.tabs.remote.autostart

to 'true'.

I have a massively improved firefox experience now and the lags are 90% gone. Still, Firefox lags a bit when running the window maximized on the UHD screen. The overall system slowdowns have stopped, too.
Switching between Tabs sometimes results in a 1 second delay when maximized, no delay at all at half screen size. This is reproduceable now. Seems to be an isolated firefox issue.

Do you guys have any thoughts or information on this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.