Host File to DNS Server

Hash1991

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
hello, this is my first time in networking.

i have read somewhere that DNS Server is better than editing the Host File of each pc if i have more pc, but i have zero knowledge in Windows Server 2012.

if i have an entry like this in my host file

123.123.123.123 to-my-site03-server.xyz
123.123.123.124 to-my-site04-server.xyz

how can i make a dns server for this?

Solution
Your router (assuming you have on) is your DNS server, if you want to run a dedicated DNS, then you have to apply the roles to Server 2012 and then setup the router to pass all queries to that and for a novice it is not straight forward.

By editing the host file, you are providing static routing information to your server.

If what you want is to forward traffic from site03 and site04, for example a web server, then use port forwarding rules within the routers own software.
Your router (assuming you have on) is your DNS server, if you want to run a dedicated DNS, then you have to apply the roles to Server 2012 and then setup the router to pass all queries to that and for a novice it is not straight forward.

By editing the host file, you are providing static routing information to your server.

If what you want is to forward traffic from site03 and site04, for example a web server, then use port forwarding rules within the routers own software.

Solution

Hash1991

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014

Can you point me to any good guide for a beginner like me?

Thanks.