Hosts file is constantly delete

Win2k workstation. Hosts file keep getting deleted
through some process. Ran latest virus scan, found
nothing. Ran adaware, found lizard bar, removed it, and
still the host file keeps disappearing. I add the file,
then 2 minutes later, without even rebooting, shutting
down or doing anything, it disappears.

Help!

Try running the latest version of SpyBot Search and Destroy also ver 1.3. In the
advanced mode there is a tools option to lock the hosts file assuming you are
using ntfs permissions. You could do the same by giving every group in the ntfs
permissions full deny permissions which you can change back when you need be. Of
course you need to find out what is causing it but I suspect some malware that
Spy Bot may find. If you boot into safe mode and the problem goes a way you know
you have some startup program causing the process. SB has a tool to show/disable
startup programs also. --- Steve