Hot and loud 1060

May 8, 2018
Ive had my EVGA gtx 1060 (3 GB) for about 3 months now and I have a recurring theme of the GPU getting really hot and loud during game play. One example is far cry 4. I would expect my card to run it fine without getting up to 70 c with the recommended hardware being 2 gigs of vram. There is also the problem of the fans spinning up to almost the maximum rpm (2676). Hopefully my graphics card isn't jacked. ;/ (By the way its an sc card)

Solution
Graphics cards get really hot these days. I've especially noticed it from the GTX 900 series on. It really worried me when I invested in a GTX Titan X awhile back. It's one thing if you buy a video card for $200 and something happens to it... but over $1,000?

Anyway, that's when I started removing the heatsink on them and replacing the stock thermal paste with Grizzly Kryonaut. I've even dabbled with water cooling. I had an MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 I removed the heatsink from and replaced with a Kraken G12 bracket & connected it to a ThermalTake Riiing 3.0 AIO. I've wanted to do something similar to the EVGA GTX 1070 Ti in my mini-ITX system, but there's not enough room :p
do you have limited airflow in your pc case? how about proper intake and exhaust fans? that has a huge impact on keeping your card cool. you can go into BIOS and change your fan profile to high performance and see if that helps. it really sounds like one of the two things mentioned above, as the 1060 is not a super hot card and should be able to keep itself cool under most circumstances

May 8, 2018

The case i am using has 2 140mm intake fans and 1 exhaust. There is about a 7 to 10 inch gap between the psp and gpu fans.

R0GG

Distinguished
70 degrees is acceptable temp for your 1060 under load, as to it's fan being loud you could use MSI after burner to control it's speed and make it bearable adjusting fan maxium RPM threshold and overall curve so the fan ramps up smoothly with temperature increase and reverts back to lower RPM when load and temps are lighter, you could help the internals of the card stay cool improving ( adding fans close to GPU) or adjusting case airflow on demand by having control over case fans speeds ramping up RPM of good and powerful 120 mm fans (140mm usually are not that efficient) in high heat producing situations.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Graphics cards get really hot these days. I've especially noticed it from the GTX 900 series on. It really worried me when I invested in a GTX Titan X awhile back. It's one thing if you buy a video card for $200 and something happens to it... but over $1,000?

Anyway, that's when I started removing the heatsink on them and replacing the stock thermal paste with Grizzly Kryonaut. I've even dabbled with water cooling. I had an MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 I removed the heatsink from and replaced with a Kraken G12 bracket & connected it to a ThermalTake Riiing 3.0 AIO. I've wanted to do something similar to the EVGA GTX 1070 Ti in my mini-ITX system, but there's not enough room :p

Solution