Hot Skylake 6600k?

Leovitss

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
i just got a new motherboard, processor, ram & heatsink my motherboard is a gigabyte z170xp-sli i have a pny 780ti an intel skylake 6600k cooled by a cooler master v8 gts with 8 gigs of gskills ripjaws @ 2400 western digital blue 1tb 7200rpm. my Skylake is sitting at 70-80 idle and it immediately jumps up to the low to mid 90s and throttles under any real load. (my package goes to 100 celcius and sits there.) any advice? its all brand new hardware.

Solution
Skylake pcbs are thinner and weaker than previous generations. Its instinctual with the v8 cooler due to its size and weight to really screw it in tightly as you usually would to ensure its attached firmly. However with the thin skylake pcb the pcb may have bent or flexed causing the cooler to either not sit flush or the bottom to have an air pocket in there.

Try loosening the cooler a bit and see if that impacts the temps, prior to removing it all, and then removed it all and see if the pcb is bent at all.

It could also be the way you have applied the thermal paste.

And of course check the fan rpms in bios and also check nothing is in the way of the cpu cooler fan spinning such as the cable.

Leovitss

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

I did build it myself, maybe i could take it apart and put it back together again?

Leovitss

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

I'm using a Cooler master v8 GTS

SunnySeven

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
Skylake pcbs are thinner and weaker than previous generations. Its instinctual with the v8 cooler due to its size and weight to really screw it in tightly as you usually would to ensure its attached firmly. However with the thin skylake pcb the pcb may have bent or flexed causing the cooler to either not sit flush or the bottom to have an air pocket in there.

Try loosening the cooler a bit and see if that impacts the temps, prior to removing it all, and then removed it all and see if the pcb is bent at all.

It could also be the way you have applied the thermal paste.

And of course check the fan rpms in bios and also check nothing is in the way of the cpu cooler fan spinning such as the cable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS