[SOLVED] "hot swappable hard drives". Is it cause any harm to our HDD?

Jun 29, 2018
Suddenly, I have just know about Hot Swappable Hard Drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo-kqCAsLRQ&t=1110s

After 20 years, I have very much data to backup. Combine to HDD, External hard drive usually more expensive but have slower speed. I usually cost much of times just to copy 200GB to my External Hard Drive.

So, Hot Swappable Hard Drive look like the great choice for me.

---------------

However, my friend talk that he know many guys who used Hot Swappable Hard Drive before. It have poor quality, and usually will broke our back up HDD, cause more bad sector,... as same as when we suddenly pull off a HDD from the running PC.

Is it right? Anyone have the experience about using this tool, can you give me some advices?

Thank you very much.

Solution
I have 3, 3.5" and 2 2.5" bays, set bios for all of them to be Hot Swapable and din't have any problems. If those are HDDs, make sure you disconnect them only while nothing is written on them at the moment or some corruption may happen, You should also just open the door or whatever the way the are disconnect them just enough to pop out of contacts and wait few seconds so motors stop and heads park.
I have 3, 3.5" and 2 2.5" bays, set bios for all of them to be Hot Swapable and din't have any problems. If those are HDDs, make sure you disconnect them only while nothing is written on them at the moment or some corruption may happen, You should also just open the door or whatever the way the are disconnect them just enough to pop out of contacts and wait few seconds so motors stop and heads park.

Solution
It's not very common to actually swap them while it's powered on. It's more of a feature of being able to pull a drive and put one in fast. If you have an extra drive in a cage already you can power down, swap it out, and power up in a few seconds.

If you need to copy data and transport it physically an external sata3.1 SSD should have good transfer speeds. It would have to come from a storage pool that can read fast enough for it.