Hotfix 817472 fails to replace in-use file Atapi.sys...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

Hi,

A Win2K pro system suffers from auto fallback from UDMA to PIO mode for all
IDE device controlling drives in standby mode. MSKB hotfix 817472 should fix
the issue but fails because
Atapi.sys is currently in use. The Hotfix aborts. Tried also Safe Mode but
at no avial.

How can I succesfully run hotfix 817472 ?
Could registry key Runonce hotfix... work?

Any help is highly appreciated.

John7

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

You should call Microsoft product support for help with this.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> You should call Microsoft product support for help with this.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "John7" wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | A Win2K pro system suffers from auto fallback from UDMA to PIO mode for
> all
> | IDE device controlling drives in standby mode. MSKB hotfix 817472 should
> fix
> | the issue but fails because
> | Atapi.sys is currently in use. The Hotfix aborts. Tried also Safe Mode
but
> | at no avial.
> |
> | How can I succesfully run hotfix 817472 ?
> | Could registry key Runonce hotfix... work?
> |

> | Any help is highly appreciated.
> |
> | John7

Daemon Tools appeared to have Atapi.sys in use.

I uninstalled Daemon Tools.
Ran hotfix 817472 succesfully.
Re-installed Daemon Tools.

John7

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

Glad to hear it. Thanks for letting us know.