[SOLVED] Hotspot w/ wifi to Wired Network setup/diagram help

Feb 7, 2019
Facts:

I live in an area that doesn't offer internet via an isp.

I bought an AT&T MF279 hotspot to start.

I want to support wifi for multiple devices as well as 6 Ethernet ports to a wired home network.

I want to be able to extend wifi signal throughout the house.

I also have a CCTV system that requires internet.

Question(s):

Will the lte hotspot router be able to handle traffic (wifi cell phones, smart TV's, CCTV, network printer)? Or should I buy an upgraded router.

What kind of switch should I use and what should the setup be?

Are Google pucks the best option to extend wifi or should I use wired extenders?

What I was thinking:

LTE hotspot <--> WiFi router w/ Ethernet ports(s) <--> unmanaged switch <--> CCTV / Wired Printer / TV's / Office / etc.

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Solution
Maybe start over if you can. Buy a router like asus or tplink that has a long list of supported mobile broadband USB modems. You can hook the modem directly to the router and it acts as though you have something similar to cable or dsl. Not all modem are supported. It is a matter of finding one that att sells that works on their network and that the router manufacture has in their supported device list.

If you can get this to work it will make you life much simpler. Solutions will be much more standard.

There are a couple of issue doing it the way you want. First you must find a router that accept wifi for its wan. This is not real common mostly third party firmware. Next you are going to lose a radio doing this...
Maybe start over if you can. Buy a router like asus or tplink that has a long list of supported mobile broadband USB modems. You can hook the modem directly to the router and it acts as though you have something similar to cable or dsl. Not all modem are supported. It is a matter of finding one that att sells that works on their network and that the router manufacture has in their supported device list.

If you can get this to work it will make you life much simpler. Solutions will be much more standard.

There are a couple of issue doing it the way you want. First you must find a router that accept wifi for its wan. This is not real common mostly third party firmware. Next you are going to lose a radio doing this. So if you use the 2.4g radio to talk to the hotspot you will only have the 5g radio to talk to the end devices.

You must run the device as a router. Most mobile hotspots do not support the WDS feature so you can't use a wifi repeater. They also restrict the number of clients. The only way to get past this is to hide all the end devices behind a router so they all appear to come from the same mac and IP address.

You could also consider using a WiFi bridge and plug it into the wan port of a router. The cheapest option is going to be to use a outdoor bridge from a company like ubiquiti. This would let yo use both radios....you have in effect purchased a third radio by buying the bridge.

Still I would recommend you just start completely over and do it the simple way. The only extra cost is going to be a new modem to replace your hotspot. You still need a router and a switch in either design.

Solution