[SOLVED] House structured wiring help, thank you!

Dec 24, 2020
Hello all,

I have nearly zero knowledge in home networking but am trying to stumble my way through it while setting up an IP camera system. However, I have an Xfinity modem/router in an On Q structured wiring box in my master closet. Within than is an On Q "Basic 1x9x telecom" with several cat5 cables ran to it. There is an empty cat5 plug and nothing attached to the "line in" portion of the plate. There are numerous cat 5 cables labeled associated to the rooms where in wall cat 5 plugs are throughout my house. There is also a cat 5 cable labeled, "Service" which is attached to a punch style connection with a female cat 5 end on it. Then a standard cat 5 cable is attached to that but is not plugged in anywhere. The in wall ethernet plugs in my house don't work and I assume the service or line in portion needs to be attached to supple service. Can someone help me figure out how to achieve that?

Thanks so much!

Photo of wires etc

Solution
So while you have wire that you can use to get wired ethernet working, there's a lot of reworking that will need to be done since that's a phone distribution block (which idiot electricians and contractors still confused with ethernet even 15 years after ethernet started appearing in houses).

You will need something like a 12 port ethernet patch panel instead. Or you can buy 2x of these 6-port leviton ones since they're available at home depot...
So while you have wire that you can use to get wired ethernet working, there's a lot of reworking that will need to be done since that's a phone distribution block (which idiot electricians and contractors still confused with ethernet even 15 years after ethernet started appearing in houses).

You will need something like a 12 port ethernet patch panel instead. Or you can buy 2x of these 6-port leviton ones since they're available at home depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...VDEmGCh08DA4wEAQYASABEgLPfvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Once you have all the runs from the rooms terminated to this panel, then you can start the networking part of it.

Solution
Dec 24, 2020

You will need something like a 12 port ethernet patch panel instead. Or you can buy 2x of these 6-port leviton ones since they're available at home depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...VDEmGCh08DA4wEAQYASABEgLPfvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Once you have all the runs from the rooms terminated to this panel, then you can start the networking part of it.
Thanks so much for the help!