[SOLVED] Housekeeping on Ubuntu

dat789

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2013
I run a dual boot for almost 7 years now and things have been going great so far. Upgraded Ubuntu from 14.04 (to start with) to now 18.04 without loss of any data. Everything still works. Happy as can be! Looking at my command line history, admittedly, there have been many entries like
sudo apt install x
and far fewer entries to remove x.

Naturally, over the years of installing small apps, I've ended up with many, many applications that I probably do not use any more. Visible applications (e.g ones that shows up when you press the Super key) can be easily assessed if they are still relevant.

How then do you list out those apps, running in the background or not, that you haven't used in a while and would like to remove them? I'm sure you have found yourself trying to resolve a specific problem and your search has suggested to install application m, but it wasn't quite right for you, then you found n, which kinda works for you. Years later, you found something better and installed application o but you've forgotten about m, and n.
I want to keep the system optimal.

So, the likes of
Code:
 apt list --installed[/ICODE] for a list of installed package

Solution
Interesting issue.

I don't think that Ubuntu keep track of when you started each specific app.

So I think it is possible, if you can stack up a workable command that can search for files, filter out anything but those have executable bit set, and make sure you get the last accessed date. But you probably need to do a lot of manual work, and also you may not be able to separate files that was initially a part of the os from those leftover from install.
That is just an idea - I haven't tested it.
Interesting issue.

I don't think that Ubuntu keep track of when you started each specific app.

So I think it is possible, if you can stack up a workable command that can search for files, filter out anything but those have executable bit set, and make sure you get the last accessed date. But you probably need to do a lot of manual work, and also you may not be able to separate files that was initially a part of the os from those leftover from install.
That is just an idea - I haven't tested it.

Solution