How a .07-second Power Cut Killed Memory Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick! Stock up on memory!... LOL
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]so does this mean a power blip at home could destroy our SSD's as well? Is this a manufacturing flaw or what? need details..[/citation]
No, dude, it's a manufacturing process that got disrupted... so unless you do have in your basement a memory chip assembly line, you should be OK.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
@chickenhoagie - with hints like production line, silicon wafers, and clean air purifying and conditioning (hinting at a clean room), I am going to assume they are talking about manufacturing plants. A power blip at home of this small scale shouldn't affect your already-made SSD chips.

G

Does anyone else think it's ironic that it was a 0.07 second blip? Bond's getting new tricks up his sleeves!

In all seriousness though, that such a fraction of a second could cause such trouble, I have to wonder what they're depending on for power in the first place. I mean, they're not exactly just plugging everything into the wall, that would be ludicrous!

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
@the rest -

I'm impressed at how many people responded to the same question at the same time! Guess we poster's on Tom's really have no life (unless your in a Midwest situation like me and procrastinating on digging yourself out of after the snowstorm).

G

This summer I bought a brand new Toshiba netbook, keyboard is hot as hell, screen is terrible, no red color, 3 months after, motherboard died..... at the moment I'm still waiting for toshiba service to fix it, almost 2 months without netbook, and they told me it'll be finished in January 2011 ???? I HATE TOSHIBA !

JerseyFirefighter

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]so does this mean a power blip at home could destroy our SSD's as well? Is this a manufacturing flaw or what? need details..[/citation]

It's amazing how close we are to Mike Judge's "idiocracy" Dude reads the headline, and looks at the photo and decides to comment on the article based on assumption. We REALLY need to start thinning the herd.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
The DRAMamurai strike again. Anyone else remember 06-08 when prices fluctuated like crazy because "Little tommy on the playground says he needs to find a new source of candy bars, so we're scared we might have to too, so our candy bars are now three times the price."

DM0407

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
God forbid a person ask a question because he is unsure of the answer. If I read a medical journal I am sure there would be plenty of stupid questions for me to ask.

I don't think its unheard of for someone to wonder if a power spike or outage would ruin their electronics.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
The brief outage stalled the production of the silicon wafers from where the chips come, which ruined a process that make take eight to 12 weeks to complete. Furthermore, the air purifying and conditioning system that ensures a clean and dust-free environment for the chips was also temporarily disabled.
There you go, buddy. I know everyone else has already commented on your obliviousness, but I figure the more the merrier...

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Rick_criswell[/nom]What no bang or loud explosion, nothing?pfffhtttt![/citation]
i used a silencer. wait shit i cant reply to you im dead..

G

[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Quick! Stock up on memory!... LOL
No, dude, it's a manufacturing process that got disrupted... so unless you do have in your basement a memory chip assembly line, you should be OK.[/citation]

??? The chip fab line goes in the attic. You put the fusion reactor in the basement

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Good thing they aren't where I live in Northern Ontario. Power goes out at least 20-30 times in summer randomly, a few times in winter, and they have scheduled 6-8 hour power outages 3-4 times a year to "upgrade the power grid", which then randomly goes out again after it's "upgraded".

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Unless the air handling systems shut themselves completely down in response to the blink, a 70 millisecond switch off shouldn't have any effect on the air quality. Remember everyone working in a cleanroom is usually wearing a full tyvek suit as well.

And I think you might wanna fact check "the voltage drop was too great". The greatest voltage drop you can have is going from on to off and that's what backup systems are designed to handle. I think you mean the current draw was too great or the system wasn't able to kick in fast enough.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I have to wonder what they're depending on for power in the first place

I dont know as far as foreign manufacturing plants go, but the one i work in runs off tons and tons of 480v connections with 100amp adjustable breakers. each assembly line usually has a dedicated 480v circuit box. and there are probably atleast 100 seperate lines in just the one building i work at.

[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Good thing they aren't where I live in Northern Ontario. Power goes out at least 20-30 times in summer randomly, a few times in winter, and they have scheduled 6-8 hour power outages 3-4 times a year to "upgrade the power grid", which then randomly goes out again after it's "upgraded".[/citation]

Thank God that they actually bother to maintain the Grid down in my state but then again it gets as hot as hell down here (Texas).

Status
Not open for further replies.