[SOLVED] How accurate is HD SENTINEL?

armoic

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
I have 2 disks: 500GB SSD (SSD 2.5'' 750 Evo 500GB Bulk) + 1TB HD.

I installed HD Sentinel and it tells me the SSD is at 58% Health and has an estimated lifetime of 381 days.

Now, how accurate is this software?

On the other disk, it says it has +1000 days and health is at 100%.

The SSD was purchased in 2016. This is where Windows is installed and most (if not all) of the other software I have on my computer.
Games and storage are on the 1TB disk.

And I take this opportunity to ask two more questions:
  1. If I'm going to replace the SSD, which ones do you recommend with 1TB?
  2. What's the fastest and best way to move everything on the 500GB SSD to the new one you buy? I don't want to have to install everything from scratch Oo

Thank you in advance

Solution
Does the evo work with Magician as I would use it to check

I only ever had Samsung ssd so I don't know what I would choose. I would avoid adata as they can have problems. I would stick with what worked for you so far and get an evo again.

Move info
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:

-----------------------------

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD

Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)

If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.

Power off...

Colif

Win 11 Master

I only ever had Samsung ssd so I don't know what I would choose. I would avoid adata as they can have problems. I would stick with what worked for you so far and get an evo again.

Move info
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:

-----------------------------

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD

Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)

If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.

Power off

Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD

Power up

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)

Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

(Ignore this section if using SDM)

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that

You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive

Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button

Wait until it is done

When it finishes, power off

Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD

This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive

Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order

If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.

Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.

This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution
I have 2 disks: 500GB SSD (SSD 2.5'' 750 Evo 500GB Bulk) + 1TB HD.

I installed HD Sentinel and it tells me the SSD is at 58% Health and has an estimated lifetime of 381 days.

Now, how accurate is this software?

On the other disk, it says it has +1000 days and health is at 100%.

The SSD was purchased in 2016. This is where Windows is installed and most (if not all) of the other software I have on my computer.
Games and storage are on the 1TB disk.

And I take this opportunity to ask two more questions:
  1. If I'm going to replace the SSD, which ones do you recommend with 1TB?
  2. What's the fastest and best way to move everything on the 500GB SSD to the new one you buy? I don't want to have to install everything from scratch Oo
Thank you in advance
It's accurate reading SMART data but Health and life expectancy are pure conjunction based on time used, times stated, read and write amount. If SMART data is all green with no errors, you can disregard it. That applies to mechanical disk as well. Real life expectancy is from next second to forever.
1. I and many prefer Samsung but Kingston, Western digital and Adata are also good. If used as system/OS disk,it's important to have large cache memory. Practically all new SATA, 2.5" SDDs have same declared speeds and only cache makes difference in real life performance.
Which motherboard do you have ?. If there's an M.2 slot NVME SSDs are much faster and prices are now almost same.
2. Easiest way to transfer system to new drive is to clone it, I prefer Macrium Reflect free https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?download=n&email=writee@civoo.com&edition=5&type=h and you can keep on using it later on for backups.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
it sees my nvme as being on 90 days less than my hdd and they both put in at same time (though nvme power saving has something to do with it too). Both still showing over 1000 days lifetime

yeah, ssd can just stop. there is no warnings in some cases.

armoic

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017

Thank you, I installed and it says Drive Health: GOOD

It's accurate reading SMART data but Health and life expectancy are pure conjunction based on time used, times stated, read and write amount. If SMART data is all green with no errors, you can disregard it. That applies to mechanical disk as well. Real life expectancy is from next second to forever.
1. I and many prefer Samsung but Kingston, Western digital and Adata are also good. If used as system/OS disk,it's important to have large cache memory. Practically all new SATA, 2.5" SDDs have same declared speeds and only cache makes difference in real life performance.
Which motherboard do you have ?. If there's an M.2 slot NVME SSDs are much faster and prices are now almost same.
2. Easiest way to transfer system to new drive is to clone it, I prefer Macrium Reflect free https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?download=n&email=writee@civoo.com&edition=5&type=h and you can keep on using it later on for backups.

Thanks, mine is a msi Z170a Tomahawk, it says in the manual that it has a m2 port. (I didn't even knew about nvme ssds, so thanks for that lol)
I also read that this motherboard would need an adapter, but on the official website there is a lof of disks compatible https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-TOMAHAWK.html#support-hdd
Will need to take a look, but will most likely go that route. Now I just need to decide on which to get

Colif

Win 11 Master
. (I didn't even knew about nvme ssds, so thanks for that lol)
well, you in for a treat if you get one, faster than ssd

I have a Samsung 970 Evo Plus so I am biased. The Western Digital ones aren't bad, but I would get one with a heatsink as they run warmer than ssd do. Mine is normally on 47c for instance
https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn750-nvme-ssd#WDS500G3X0C

3500mb/s tfr speed sure beats 650mb/s on ssd.

Not sure about adapter - 1 x 2280 Key M(PCIe Gen3 x4/SATA). https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-TOMAHAWK/Specification
that is pretty standard
https://www.atpinc.com/blog/what-is-m.2-M-B-BM-key-socket-3
I think most pcie nvme are M key which matches your motherboard. My samsung is type M.

USAFRet

Titan

Thanks, mine is a msi Z170a Tomahawk, it says in the manual that it has a m2 port. (I didn't even knew about nvme ssds, so thanks for that lol)
I also read that this motherboard would need an adapter, but on the official website there is a lof of disks compatible https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-TOMAHAWK.html#support-hdd
Will need to take a look, but will most likely go that route. Now I just need to decide on which to get
Contrary to the above recommendation, avoid ADATA and Kingston.

What do you use this system for?
The raw speed difference of an NVMe vs SATA III SSD may not be as great as the advertising numbers imply.

Need what adapter ' MB has
1 x M.2 Key M Socket supports type 2280/2260/2242 storage devices in both PCIE Gen3 x4 & SATA mode
- Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s standards,4.2cm/ 6cm/ 8cm length M.2 SSD cards
which means that any "ordinary" M.2 NVMe SSD will work directly. Hugely popular and very good https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970evo/ for instance.
It full size NVME (PCIe x4 v3) would be plug and play fit.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i noticed a speed difference at boot between old pc on ssd and new on nvme but then i never put an nvme in my old PC as it would have been pointless.

So I don't know how much of the speed difference i get is just the nvme and not the rest of the system being newer too. I don't feel need to put my ssd into this to test it either as its too much messing around. i know my drive gets advertised speeds as i ran a benchmark earlier and got 3500/3300 which is whats advertised on Samsung website.

But at same time I know that although PCI e 4 is up to 7000mb/s compared to pcie 3 being 3500, the difference isn't as big as it seems and the faster drives get the less noticeable the speed increase between them becomes.