[SOLVED] How accurate is the site "Can you run it" in terms of correctly assessing the gaming capabilities of the hardware? Any alternatives?

Kuci

Honorable
Apr 12, 2017
I run some games as an example and most of the time the site indicated that of all components my CPU is most lacking. I have been under the impression that GPU and Memory are the main components for gaming capabilities, hence my question.

My specs:
MB: GA 990FXA UD3
PSU: TS XFX 650 w Gold
GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 (the one with the 2 fans)
CPU: 3.33 gigahertz AMD FX -6100 Six-Core
RAM: 12gb DDR 1600Mhz

Solution
The CPU you currently have would not have been a strong gaming contender even in it's time, and much less so now. Your GPU is rather aged as well. I would consider that the system may run older titles in an acceptable way but see below.

The most accurate gauge I know is to actually look up minimum and recommended specs for the specific game you are curious about on the vendor site.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The CPU you currently have would not have been a strong gaming contender even in it's time, and much less so now. Your GPU is rather aged as well. I would consider that the system may run older titles in an acceptable way but see below.

The most accurate gauge I know is to actually look up minimum and recommended specs for the specific game you are curious about on the vendor site.

Solution

Kuci

Honorable
Apr 12, 2017

thank you for your answer!

I would argue that specifications on applications aren't what's actually required most of the time. But rather, what the developer's willing to support. If a developer says they require a Core i5-8400 but you have a Core i7-7700K, then chances are the application will still run, but the developer isn't going to offer support if you say you have an i7-7700K. If the application requires a specific hardware feature, they'll tend to list it. Usually.

Though you can still use those specs listed and see how your hardware performs relative to it, but this can take a lot of research.