How best to complain to IBM re lemon Thinkpad??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any advice? Please tell me if you know whom to write or call or
complain to (whether at IBM itself, at a consumer organization, a
computer magazine or whatever works best) about the following saga
with my Thinkpad T40 and IBM's refusal to replace it with a new one:

I spent a fortune on a top-of-the-line IBM T40 laptop in September
2003, which is critical to my work (and life) since I'm mainly
bed-bound. Since then, I've basically never had a working laptop for
more than a few days, after which it crashes and loses tons of data
and settings that I spent extensive time on and then I have to get it
to an IBM lab, where it sits for one to two weeks and then I'm told
that it's 100% perfect and all is fixed.

The 1st time I sent the laptop to the IBM lab here (I live outside the
US), they told me the operating system had been installed incorrectly
at IBM and I'd have to agree to let them wipe my hard disk or they
couldn't fix it -- and they were unwilling to back-up my data first.
Technicians who had looked at it in my house suspected that --given
the variety of errors -- the motherboard was bad. But the IBM lab
assured me that they's run all the tests and the motherboard, hard
disk etc. were all fine.

The second time I sent it to the IBM lab (not long afterwards) they
discovered that, in fact, the hard disk was bad -- and once again I
had to agree to let them wipe all my data.
..
After it was in the lab twice and crashed yet again, I gave it to my
husband -- who was going on a business trip to the US. I asked him to
call IBM, explain what a lemon this laptop was and the damage it's
caused me, and ask them to replace it with a new one because I had no
faith in the one I had and did NOT want to keep going through this.
IBM technical support then told my husband over the phone that the
overseas IBM lab didn't have all the tools they need to diagose
problems and wasn't nearly as capable as IBM in the US (interesting,
since I bought the laptop in good part because it supposedly has a 3
year international warranty -- but with overseas labs that IBM itself
doesn't trust!), and thus they wouldn't replace my laptop because
IBM's US lab would find and fix everything that was wrong with it and
send me back (albeit only n the US) a totally fixed laptop.

Not surprisingly, IBM US found that in fact I did have a bad
motherboard and replaced it.

At this point, given what the tech support guy said in the US and the
fact that I had had both the motherboard and the hard drive replaced,
I was hoping that my troubles would be over, and I spent many, many
hours trying to restore my programs and settings on the "refurbished"
laptop.

Guess what -- then the hard disk (the new one, that I'd been given by
IBM!!!) crashed! The computer is once again at the IBM lab here and I
HAVE HAD IT!!!

How do I get justice here?!

Please advise!

the key for getting a replacement is escalating your complain to a higher
level... talking to technicians on the phone won't work, you have to ask to
talk with a supervisor. If it doesn't work, ask to talk with the
supervisor's supervisor....

ggj wrote:
> [...]
>>year international warranty -- but with overseas labs that IBM itself
>>doesn't trust!), and thus they wouldn't replace my laptop because
>>IBM's US lab would find and fix everything that was wrong with it and
>>send me back (albeit only n the US) a totally fixed laptop.
>>
>>Not surprisingly, IBM US found that in fact I did have a bad
>>motherboard and replaced it.
>>
>>At this point, given what the tech support guy said in the US and the
>>fact that I had had both the motherboard and the hard drive replaced,
>>I was hoping that my troubles would be over, and I spent many, many
>>hours trying to restore my programs and settings on the "refurbished"
>>laptop.
>>
>>Guess what -- then the hard disk (the new one, that I'd been given by
>>IBM!!!) crashed! The computer is once again at the IBM lab here and I

Hi,
Also "it crashed fix it", won't do much. Itemize problem history, every
time you talk to some one at IBM, get the names and time/date.
And you can run many hardware diagnostics yourself and get a summary
error report printed out.
Why bother trying to use sick box over and over? Makes me wonder.
And you said your life depends on it and no back up system? Some life,
Eh? Sorry I had to say it.
Good luck,
Tony

Hello Ploni,