How big is the difference between i7 7700k and the i5 7600k? Does the performance justify the difference in price?

Pie_ExMachina

Honorable
Oct 13, 2015
I'm looking to upgrade to my pc since my mobo just died. That means I'll have to upgrade my ram and cpu since the the mobos available in my local store don't support 3rd gen processors (I have an i7 3770k). I'm a cs student so besides gaming I use my pc for schoolwork and in the future I intend to get started with game dev. However the price difference between the i5 and the i7 is around $130. I have no intentions of rendering any videos pictures or using cad programs. So I was wondering what processor I should get. At this point it's debate between future proofing my computer and saving some money since I'll also have to get ram and a motherboard. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
It depends on what you're doing with your pc. Being a cs student doesn't really clarify much but you said you won't be rendering or video editing. If not then the additional performance of an i7 may not be worth it. Hyper threading can improve things in some cases, in other case it won't. It doesn't automatically guarantee better performance. Extra threads 'may' make a difference, not 'will' as an absolute.

When additional threads are capable of making use of hyper threading such as video encoding or cpu rendering, the improvement is around 20%, sometimes up to around 30%. In same cases as little as 5%. Assuming best case scenario of around 30% i7's generally cost around 50% more. Check your local prices to see if that's the case, if...

Pie_ExMachina

Honorable
Oct 13, 2015

I really love my current cpu however my local store doesn't have any mobos that are compatible with my current cpu. I would have no problem buying used but I live outside the US in a country where there isn't much offer for such motherboards. Most people use lower end hardware.

Pie_ExMachina

Honorable
Oct 13, 2015

I appreciate your help but I need my desktop as soon as possible to do some projects and shipping does take a while and it can be expensive. My only real solution right now would be to buy it at my store.

It depends on what you're doing with your pc. Being a cs student doesn't really clarify much but you said you won't be rendering or video editing. If not then the additional performance of an i7 may not be worth it. Hyper threading can improve things in some cases, in other case it won't. It doesn't automatically guarantee better performance. Extra threads 'may' make a difference, not 'will' as an absolute.

When additional threads are capable of making use of hyper threading such as video encoding or cpu rendering, the improvement is around 20%, sometimes up to around 30%. In same cases as little as 5%. Assuming best case scenario of around 30% i7's generally cost around 50% more. Check your local prices to see if that's the case, if so and you're on a budget go with the i5. It will be more cost effective.

If you don't have a cpu cooler or don't plan to overclock and looking to save a bit more, consider a locked cpu like an i5 7500 or 7600 or an i7 7700 non k. They come with a stock cooler, k models don't and if you don't have a cooler that's an additional cost.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS